Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String Players - Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zac, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Zac

Zac

Mar 19, 2004
    Recently, I've had a deal from a friend at Ibanez to get my hands on a BTB 6 string for $512.00. (Looking for a backup bass) :D

Now I noticed this particular bass, the 24th fret is inacessible on the B,E,A, & D string. This bothers me, despite the fact I can play those notes elsewhere. Maybe it's a cosmetic thing.

So...my question is, how often do you guys use those notes on the strings mentioned above? Should I go ahead with purchase?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Zac

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I personally don't play the B or E strings past the 20th fret. It's not that I couldnt', it just works out that way.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I have been very happy with my btb, I've had it over a year now, plays very nicely, sustain for day's, tons of versatility,.... tight b string,... it's all good. Especially at the price point. I never miss the 24th fret of my b,e,a,&d, string, I say do it.
    Good luck, & Peace.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I've never played the 24th fret on my B and E strings (unless im doing a major slide into a song) but I use the 24th fret the most on my C and G strings

5. Maybe once in a while on the D string but hardly ever on the B E A strings.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you have 6 strings, why would you need to play above the nth fret? Just use the higher strings.

And I play a 6'er so i'm not trying to say something that I don't know about.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A big part of the reason I got a 6 in the first place was so I would not have to play so high on the neck. My intonation is pretty dodgy past fret 9-10.

8. When recording you get better tone closer to the middle of the neck in my opinion. You wouldn't need to play the B,E, and A strings 24th fret often. And if you did, you'd probably be tapping them. Just consider it you have 22 frets and you're missing only 2 notes from C string....