1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 String Players - Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zac, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Zac

Zac

Mar 19, 2004
    Recently, I've had a deal from a friend at Ibanez to get my hands on a BTB 6 string for $512.00. (Looking for a backup bass) :D

Now I noticed this particular bass, the 24th fret is inacessible on the B,E,A, & D string. This bothers me, despite the fact I can play those notes elsewhere. Maybe it's a cosmetic thing.

So...my question is, how often do you guys use those notes on the strings mentioned above? Should I go ahead with purchase?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Zac

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I personally don't play the B or E strings past the 20th fret. It's not that I couldnt', it just works out that way.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I have been very happy with my btb, I've had it over a year now, plays very nicely, sustain for day's, tons of versatility,.... tight b string,... it's all good. Especially at the price point. I never miss the 24th fret of my b,e,a,&d, string, I say do it.
    Good luck, & Peace.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I've never played the 24th fret on my B and E strings (unless im doing a major slide into a song) but I use the 24th fret the most on my C and G strings

5. Maybe once in a while on the D string but hardly ever on the B E A strings.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you have 6 strings, why would you need to play above the nth fret? Just use the higher strings.

And I play a 6'er so i'm not trying to say something that I don't know about.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A big part of the reason I got a 6 in the first place was so I would not have to play so high on the neck. My intonation is pretty dodgy past fret 9-10.

8. When recording you get better tone closer to the middle of the neck in my opinion. You wouldn't need to play the B,E, and A strings 24th fret often. And if you did, you'd probably be tapping them. Just consider it you have 22 frets and you're missing only 2 notes from C string....