6-String Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Trucker, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Trucker

Oct 12, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Ever since I simultaneously had my bass set up, replaced the (broken) speakers in my cabs, and got a new preamp (mmm... Kern), my low B string has been sounding weak. Because so much changed at once it's been tricky to diagnose the problem, but now I think I've figured it out.

(Background: I play a Carvin fretless 6 string with a bridge humbucker.)

One of the problems I had fixed when I sent my bass to be adjusted was that the B string would rattle against the fingerboard in certain positions. The fix for this meant raising the B string, so now the string is (roughly) the same distance from the pickups as the other strings, but that's farther from the pickups than it used to be.

Does this mean that the B string is supposed to be closer to the pickups than the other strings?

I've also read that Carvin pickups are not wide enough for 6 strings. Indeed, the relative weakness of the B string is much more noticeable on the narrower bridge pickup than on the wider neck humbucker.

What do you guys think? I just need my bass set up properly, or I need new pickups?

2. I don't know about your specific problem, nor the reason of the weakness in your low B, but wouldn't raising the pickup help in this case??
  3. Honestly, just try raising the bass side of the pickup...

I took the time to label the screw numbers to help you find your old sound.
    Raising #:
    1.) Points the pickup towards the neck, resulting in a warmer, richer, possibly even muddier bassy sound.
    2.) Points the pickup towards the bridge, giving you a more focused sound, but very trebly.
    3.) Raises the treble side of the pickup to produce more treble sound.

Lowering the screw will do the exact opposite of what I wrote above.

I would suggest raising screw #1 and lowering screw #2. Keep in mind to only turn the screwdriver 1 turn at a time...and use a screwdriver that fits the head of the screw! If you strip the head, it would be very hard to replace the screws!

Good luck!