Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String pups - Single coils or Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey guys, I'm about to receive my first ever 6 string, it's cheap, it's active and I'm fairly certain the pre and pups will have to go if I decide to keep it, which I probably will have to since it's a present from my girlfriend who totally kicks ass :bassist: But what I'm wondering is what do you all think might be my best idea for this? I've thought about throwing some Bart single coils in with an Aggie OBP-1 since I very rarely solo one pup or the other. The only other option I've found, and I'm WAY open to other ideas at this point, is an all EMG setup using either single coils or their newer more traditional sounding humbucking pups with an EMG pre of some type. But I'm not sure what EMG pre will fit in this bass, especially since the bass won't be in my hands until a week from Thursday... making this all rather moot for the moment but I can't control my urge to modify. So I'm just getting a feel for anyone's opinions. I probably won't be doing a whole lot of slapping, mainly fingerstyle rock, ballads my band has been compared to Elton John, entirely due to our lead singer/keyboard player who sounds eerily like Elton in the good old days when he was rocking... it still saddens me though, I want to be known for kicking ass not swaying lighters hahaha. I need good mids, solid lows but not extremely present highs. Which is what led me to the Bart/Aggie route in the first place since my previous set of Barts were sooooo lacking in the highs. Lemme know what you guys think, I'm a little out of my league here! Oh yeah, the bass is a Rogue LX406 Pro, check it out here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519246/

2. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The thought suddenly occurs to me that I'll only be able to use stacked humbuckers... so probably NOT the EMG 'buckers. Anyone got any ideas?

3. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Hey Ralphdaddy,

I'm not sure you want to go for Barts... it's is not a quality or sound issue, but they're not as readily available as you'd probably like.

I'd presonnaly go for Villex pickups. Measure the bass's pickup and ask if he has an enclosure that can fit in there. You get a very effective passive system with a mid cut/boost taht works quite well. They're humbucker, but the smaller enclosure will still leave you with a close approximation of a single coil

hope this helps
    PL

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Interesting... I'd heard about these pups and have seen the rave reviews on them but didn't think he did 6 strings.... I'm not too particular about the single coil tone, I'm actually a much bigger fan of the generally beefier output of humbuckers, hence my Music Man and Warwick. But I DO like active basses a great deal more than passive though I've heard his pups are almost active in their range. To say the least it's worth looking into. I've heard all the issues with Bartolini but I'm fairly certain I have a place that has them in stock, something tells me the typical 6 string pup isn't in great demand you know? Thanks a ton for the Villex idea, I hadn't really considered it before. I'm still wondering if anyone might know if the Aggie OBP-1 can open up the Barts some and provide me some of the much needed highs. Thanks again Balor.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Question for anyone who's used an all EMG setup like the 45J and BQC system... are the highs ominpresent or can they be dialed out to get a massive bottom end with little high end? I don't do this often but when I do I need that sound for some reason or another.