6-string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Jun 9, 2004.

1. in the future i want a six string...im thinking that around jan. or feb. i want to save up money ($150) and buy a REALLY CHEAP 6 stringer...

Heres what im looking for...(any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated)

24 or more frets
    tight spacing
    less than or equal to $150
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    ........Not possible......

The absolute CHEAPEST 6 string I know of in the ENTIRE WORLD are the Brice basses @ $300 (After Shipping)

You know that strings for a 6 string are about $30-$55 alone?
  3. damn...
  4. while there is a topic of six strings(i know this COULD go in the string or pickup depts.), would a cheapie brice six string be that bad. i'm a diehard 4string guy, but i've been itching for a six string. BUT, i cannot stand thicker strings than an E, and want more chordal possibilities, so i am contemplating a EADGCF tuning. would the brice's pickups work...er..."well" with that tuning? thanks for your time.
  5. Hey
    What are you guys forgetting. WISH! YOu can pick up 6s pretty damn cheap on E-bay though!
  6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    You might be able to find a 6'er on ebay for less than $300, but I doubt it. Yes, if you re-string a 6'er to be E-F that will work fine, you might have to adjust the nech though due to the tension difference. The pickups will be fine.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ebay's you rbest bet for something that cheap. I would recommend saving a little more, though.

Your best bet for a REALLY cheap one on ebay is a Washburn as they have VERY low resale value and they aren't exactly in demand.
  8. I hear you man, thats the only reason i wanted a 6er, for the high F. I recently purchased a 5 with a EADGC tuning...

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    So you want a Tenor 6 string? That would Require differnt nuts...

Brice Basses are GREAT for the money, but quality Control is an issue, but they do have good customer Service, so.. If there is a Problem, it will be solved.

The 6 string Fretless brice gives me gas... And I've Owned some NICE basses....
  10. yeah i know...for my tenor 5 i am going to have my local music shop put one in for me....but i dont know what is a reasonable price for them to do it....i do NOT want to get ripped off...any recomendations on the cost issue?
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I havent had it done... But would *Assume* that it would cost what a De-Fretting would cost... $100 (Ish)
  12. no i meant a new nut....cost of labor and of a nut...(i know that nuts are really cheap)
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Did you not understand???? $100 Parts and Labor included...

Thats 100 to have it done, it could be slightly more, or Less.
  14. o sorry i just reread your post..i thought you said "defretting would cost 100"
  15. well thats good because they offered me $30
  16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Good Deal! The people around me seem to want to rip everyone off... There nice guys but... They want your money.

But For it to sit *right* you will need to Replace ALL the Nuts, not just one...

Well, Maybe not, you could just Recyle the other ones, just move 'em to a new spot... I didnt think 'a That.
  17. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Replacing a nut would cost $100? Are you insane?

You dig up the old one and glue down the new one. Good luthier could do that while you wait, I imagine, and he'd probably charge $20 or so.
  18. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    All the nuts? What kind of basses do you play that have more than one nut?
  19. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    What luthier/music shop has a spare 6 string bass nut cut to EADGCF sitting around!?