1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lordigg33, Mar 18, 2001.

1. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I was wondering if anyone knew the specs for Les Claypool's 6 string fretted bass. i was wondering bc i am thinking of getting a 6 striong, and no its not bc Les has one. Ive been playing for almost 3 years and i want to step up to a 6 and basically expand my style. but anyways, i was wodnering if anyone knew what the specs for this bass are bc since my hands are small, id need asmaller scale neck and Les' 6 string fretted is just that. I am looking into getting a Ken Benesee Baroque 6 so i need to know the specs of Les' sixer so i can get something similiar in size. thanks alot!

iggy

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, his bass is full scale. In fact, i think its 35", too. He doesn't own any Carl Thompson short scales anymore. It just has REALLY tight spacing and (as a result) super thin strings. I would NOT advise this.

Anyhow, i believe its this:

cherry body
    maple neckthru
    ebony fretboard
    35" scale
    EMG soapbars
    tighttighttight spacing, super thin strings

Thats about it, that i know. But his bass definitely isnt short scale. Go with a more usual spacing and you should be fine; thin strings will sound like crap (like he does!).

3. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    thanks alot. :) that was what i meant the neck width. its jsut i ahve small hands and normal 6 strings dont work well withme, i cant reach my hand around :( lol but htanks :) big help:)

iggy