6 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lordigg33, Mar 18, 2001.

1. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I was wondering if anyone knew the specs for Les Claypool's 6 string fretted bass. i was wondering bc i am thinking of getting a 6 striong, and no its not bc Les has one. Ive been playing for almost 3 years and i want to step up to a 6 and basically expand my style. but anyways, i was wodnering if anyone knew what the specs for this bass are bc since my hands are small, id need asmaller scale neck and Les' 6 string fretted is just that. I am looking into getting a Ken Benesee Baroque 6 so i need to know the specs of Les' sixer so i can get something similiar in size. thanks alot!

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, his bass is full scale. In fact, i think its 35", too. He doesn't own any Carl Thompson short scales anymore. It just has REALLY tight spacing and (as a result) super thin strings. I would NOT advise this.

Anyhow, i believe its this:

cherry body
    maple neckthru
    ebony fretboard
    35" scale
    EMG soapbars
    tighttighttight spacing, super thin strings

Thats about it, that i know. But his bass definitely isnt short scale. Go with a more usual spacing and you should be fine; thin strings will sound like crap (like he does!).
  3. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    thanks alot. :) that was what i meant the neck width. its jsut i ahve small hands and normal 6 strings dont work well withme, i cant reach my hand around :( lol but htanks :) big help:)