1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MikeBass, Nov 8, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Having just aquired a killer Smith BT6G, and not played a 6 for a LONG time (Warwick Thumb 6), I'm noticing that my left forearm gets "tired" pretty quick. Like 1 or 2 tunes pretty quick.
    I played a 5 almost all the time for the last 10 years or so and never had any issues.

I'm 1 week into this bass and wondering if this is gonna dissappear. I wasn't looking for a Smith 6 (a Smith 5 yes), but came on to a good price for it. So I thought I'd give it a spin.

I wear it kinda high BTW. If you were sitting with the bass strapped on, there would be about 1 inch between the bottom of the bass and the top of my thigh.
    I tried lowering it and even raising it, but settled back to this height because it felt the most comfy.

Any insight???

2. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I cannot make any tips or recommendations, but the Smith fretboards seem to be more like a coffetable than a fretboard. It takes a bit of streaching, which is why your forearm is getting sore. It will just take time and adjustment to get back into it.

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I have the same problem when I play standing with my Pedulla 5. Its not a six, but the spacing's pretty wide and I play a lot on the lowest string close to the nut.

I wind up playing the bass a lot lower than I like so that I can tilt the neck upwards for a comfortable angle.

When I work up the guts to modify it (AHH!) I think I'll move the strap pin so it hangs over to the right more, thus less of a reach in 1st position.