6 string question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MikeBass, Nov 8, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Having just aquired a killer Smith BT6G, and not played a 6 for a LONG time (Warwick Thumb 6), I'm noticing that my left forearm gets "tired" pretty quick. Like 1 or 2 tunes pretty quick.
    I played a 5 almost all the time for the last 10 years or so and never had any issues.

I'm 1 week into this bass and wondering if this is gonna dissappear. I wasn't looking for a Smith 6 (a Smith 5 yes), but came on to a good price for it. So I thought I'd give it a spin.

I wear it kinda high BTW. If you were sitting with the bass strapped on, there would be about 1 inch between the bottom of the bass and the top of my thigh.
    I tried lowering it and even raising it, but settled back to this height because it felt the most comfy.

Any insight???
  2. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I cannot make any tips or recommendations, but the Smith fretboards seem to be more like a coffetable than a fretboard. It takes a bit of streaching, which is why your forearm is getting sore. It will just take time and adjustment to get back into it.
  3. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I have the same problem when I play standing with my Pedulla 5. Its not a six, but the spacing's pretty wide and I play a lot on the lowest string close to the nut.

I wind up playing the bass a lot lower than I like so that I can tilt the neck upwards for a comfortable angle.

When I work up the guts to modify it (AHH!) I think I'll move the strap pin so it hangs over to the right more, thus less of a reach in 1st position.