Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Apr 7, 2002.

1. What is the best sixer under $1000? Under $600?

2. I would say see if you can get a hold of a used Cirrus. Else you can always get a DP custom.

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i think model of btb(ibanez) are uner 1000

the john myung model is under a 1000

so that are my options

4. The John Myung model has VERY TIGHT string spacing. Just make sure you know that.....

The Ibanez BTB 6-strings are ok IMO; but for the price you would pay for one of the good ones (i.e. the BTB1006) is just as much as a used Cirrus or G+L. If I had $2K, I would buy a Cirrus faster than you can say "credit card." :D Those things are MONSTERS, and they look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Chris starts daydreaming about the Cirrus 5 Quilt-Top Tiger Eye with ebony fretboard model......mmmmmmmm.......)

:D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Under $600, there are not really any 6 stringers that I would consider. For a little more, you can get an Ibanez BTB406, a good bass with 3 band preamp, 35" scale and tight B string.

As you get closer to $1000, the Carvin LB76 is pretty good, and a little over $1000 a Peavey Cirrus is about as good as it gets, unless you want to spend over $2000.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Do whatever it takes to get your hands on a Peavey Cirrus!! I've played a lot of basses (Roscoes, Warwicks, Carvins, Yamahas, Fenders etc.) and now the only two instruments I have are Peaveys Cirrus sixes - fretted and fretless. I paid a little over $1200 for each one new so you should be able to find one used for less than $1K. Just my opinion, but I have yet to play anything in their league for less than $2500. They really are that good. Good luck.

7. this is about $400, but i dont know if id be better of spending more. Ive played the Rhapsody whick i liked but havent played the edges. Pic attached.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Save your pennies and wait. Not a great choice, IMO. A used Cirrus would be your best bet under a grand ($800-900 is a common price on a good used one).

9. in my experience Deans have been very good for the money. but I have never played that model (other than unplugged in the store). one thing I know is you get Grover tuners, and a 5 piece maple/walnut neck. that's pretty good. but, I've heard the B string is not that good.

I have messed around with a few Cirrus's and those are amazing. when you get a good look at the Cirrus up close, you would swear the thing cost thousands. pick it up and play one, and it will be very hard to leave the store without it.

so, IMO if you can find a used Cirrus, don't pass it up. if you can't find a Cirrus, maybe get the Dean, play it for a while then trade it in on a Cirrus in the future. :)

10. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I've gotta ditto the Cirrus. I was looking for fives and tried a used Cirrus 6. It was a real beauty and right at $1000. When I can afford to go multi-string I'm getting the Cirrus. The action is low and has a nice solid feel to it.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    isnt there a cirrus around here or bassgear.com for $$850?

12. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    no one has said anything about washburn, or do they suck amazingly. anyone played the washy 6 shooter?? whats the string spacing like and are the strings tight.
    later
    Lukas

13. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I tried a used wasburn 5 recently. I don't remember the model. It seemed decent the string spacing was a little tight. The neck felt solid but not to thick. The body finish wsa nice and overall seemed like a decent bass except for the pickups and the preamp. I couldn't get any kind of treble boost and overall the bass tone seemed really muddy. Maybe the battery for the preamp was going but for what the store was asking for it I didn't bother.

14. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well thats all i really needed to know, i want a good looking 5 or 6 string for under about $700 USD ( im in australia and $1500 is alot of money for me) and it has to have generous string spacing. i like my strings to be able to kick around a bit and have some room.

any ideas as to what im looking for??
    later
    Lukas

15. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Ashton,
    I think a good, relatively cheap, 5 string is the Yamaha bbg5s. The string spacing is wider, has an active preamp and I believe an alder body. I think the neck and tone are similar to a jazz bass with some variations in tone because of the preamp.

They've discontinued the model so you can get some good bargains, at least in the U.S. New it was going for $300. The store was clearing the shelves for the the newer Yamahas. I'd say it was at least as good as their newer model, the rbx 5 something or other, that was selling for somewhere around $500-$600. The only difference was on the new model the pickups seemed a little brighter and punchier and the body style was different. Also, it has gold hardware all over which personally I don't like but for the price I think I could live with.

I'm clueles on cheaper decent 6 strings. Get a used Cirrus.

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just aquired a Cirrus 6 (walnut/bubinga) off BASSGEAR.COM in excellent condition w/ case for only $725 :p

All I can say is WOW!!! :eek: :D

Anyone want to buy a Spector 5?:p

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

WOW is RIGHT! That is a heck of a deal! Congratulations.:cool:

19. yeah, the Deans are definately worth the money, great playing, sounding and looking basses. I've got an Edge Q6 model and I'm very happy with it! The B sounds pretty good too, nice and tight....

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The only 6 stringer I ever considered before giving up was a Vigier Arpege III, but it is far more than $ 1000 (approx. 4000 EUR here)... But it has many greeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat features such as memory banks for sounds, zero fret, etc.

http://www.vigierguitars.com

All the best,