6 string questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bennet Pullen, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    1. Should I use 2 truss rods + 1 graphite reinforcement bar or 1 truss rod + 2 graphite reinforcement bars? I know it's not required to use either one of these but I want a very stable neck and I've noticed alot of newer 6 strings have dual truss rods.

2. Have any of you ever used ebony binding? is this even possible? I know I want black binding but I would like to use wood rather than plastic, also i'm making ebony pickup covers and knobs so it would be cool if the binding matched.

3. I want to make a half neck-thru, like on the Warwick Thumb and Streamer Stage II, any advice? My main concern with this is how to countersink the bridge (I'm using individual string bridges so that I can get wider spacing on a six) so that it mounts into the neck not into the body/top.

4. Is there a limit to the difference I should have between my nut spacing and my bridge spacing? I was planing on 5/16 nut spacing and 3/4 bridge spacing, is this ok? or should I add more nut spacing.

5. Any other things specific to building a 6 I should know about? please tell me!

PS, anybody know of a good place to buy figured bubinga?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    not to bust yo groove but i have learned a lot from this site as well: