1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bennet Pullen, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    1. Should I use 2 truss rods + 1 graphite reinforcement bar or 1 truss rod + 2 graphite reinforcement bars? I know it's not required to use either one of these but I want a very stable neck and I've noticed alot of newer 6 strings have dual truss rods.

2. Have any of you ever used ebony binding? is this even possible? I know I want black binding but I would like to use wood rather than plastic, also i'm making ebony pickup covers and knobs so it would be cool if the binding matched.

3. I want to make a half neck-thru, like on the Warwick Thumb and Streamer Stage II, any advice? My main concern with this is how to countersink the bridge (I'm using individual string bridges so that I can get wider spacing on a six) so that it mounts into the neck not into the body/top.

4. Is there a limit to the difference I should have between my nut spacing and my bridge spacing? I was planing on 5/16 nut spacing and 3/4 bridge spacing, is this ok? or should I add more nut spacing.

5. Any other things specific to building a 6 I should know about? please tell me!

PS, anybody know of a good place to buy figured bubinga?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    not to bust yo groove but i have learned a lot from this site as well:

www.mimf.org

;)