1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string radius

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kabal, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    I'm thinking about getting a custom 6-string made and the finer details have been stressing me out. One of which is fretboard radius.

Now this is going to be my main chording axe and everything I've read about FB radius is the smaller radius is better for chording while larger and flatter is better for leads (most pages were in reference to guitar). However; with basses the more strings we have the flatter our necks have to be which puts me in quite a conundrum.

Does anyone who plays a 6 know their radius and more importantly how low can a 6 radius go? For example would a 9" make the FB so round I couldn't get to the low B?

2. I do a lot of chording and I've never felt the need for less than a 12"

3. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    What kind of bass do you have?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    9" would be really round for a six string unless it had very tight spacing. I've owned a number of sixes and am most comfortable on a radius around 16" (doing a fair amount of chording), but what you'll find most comfortable may be quite different. This is one of those situations where gathering opinions won't be nearly as helpful as trying them out in person to see what feels best for you.

5. Depending on the luthier, you can always look at a compound radius. Flat radii aren't a big deal, but you probably still want one in the lower register. You'll still be able to flatten out in the upper register and have the desired effect for chording.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    20" radius suits me for chords and leads.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Don't you have hands like bunches of bananas? ;)

8. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    I've got Warwicks right now and I can't play them anymore. Anyone know off hand their radius? I know they're quite flat

9. I believe 26", but you can't blame everything on their radius. :ninja:

10. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    Yea I know. trust me I've found plenty of things that make them unplayable for me, and I used to swear by them but I gotta learn the hard way I guess:scowl:

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Warwicks are usually 20"

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just found the official specs on their site, and they're pretty wacky- it's 20" for their 4-strings, 26" for their 5-strings, and 47" for their 6-strings and their broadneck 5s.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    if by 'bunch of bananas' you mean normal hands of average length with slightly above average dexterity... I guess so :meh:

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah- I just remember you having arms that looked pretty large and strong, so I was guessing you had hands to match.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    well thanks... while I'm sure most of us have stronger hands than the general population. Beyond that, mine don't stand out in anyway big or small :)

I've always preferred wide flat fingerboards on bass and guitar. My fretless 6 is 20" radius... I think my 7 is a little larger, but has the same flatness feel.