Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-String Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Davis, Aug 17, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I have been looking around for a 6-stringer for a while now. Does anyone have any suggestions about what brands I should look into?

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In no particular order, just based on the sounds that I like, and limited to stuff that I've played:

Ken Smith - my guess is they do proportionately, more 6's than anybody else

Alembic - top notch basses no matter how many strings

Hanewinckel - had my 6er a month now. I'm a believer. Sweet sounding, easy playing bass.

Peavey Cirrus - I loved the 5er. 6er has to be as nice. String spacings are narrow. Some people like that, some don't.

Warwick - I just like them. 5s and 6s tend to be very neck heavy, though.

Peace,

James

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I should have probably said, I'm on a limited budget. Just don't go too high.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, that depends on what you are looking for, but I will try to help:

In the middle range:
    -Ibanez BTB406
    -Cort Curbow 6 String
    -Tobias Toby Pro 6 (Only if you replace the preamp and pickups)
    -Spector NS2000Q6

In the medium-high range:
    -Ibanez BTB1006
    -Yamaha John Myung Signature
    -Peavey Cirrus 6 String
    -Warwick Streamer LX 6 String
    -Carvin LB76 or BB76.

In the Custom Range.
    -Dp Custom Guitars.
    -Greg Curbow
    -Alembic

Actually there are many, just listing some of the ones I like.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  6. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    My only experiences are with the Ibanez and Yamaha which I owned - Yamaha 6 strings are nice - the John Myung sig model has a narrower neck - the TRB6 and John Pattituci sig model are also quite nice - I had one of these. I recently bought a Conklin GT-7 and have been recording with it - I have to say that it is a very nice bass for the money, and easy to get used to as I played 6 strings for over 5 years. So I second JT's recommendation.

7. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I share the opinion with JT and Bass Guitar. The groove tools are simply great.

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I was thinking about a 7, but I haven't had the pleasure to play one yet. But anyway, I should be going to Mars tomorrow(one of the only decent guitar store near me)so I'm going to check out some 6's there. But I don't think they sell Conklins. :(

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is there a Guitar Center around you? They carry the Conklin GT series, and also the Ibanez BTB.

The only things that you will see at Mars is possibly the Cort Curbow 6 and the Spector NS2000Q6.

Neither one of these is in the same league as the BTB, let alone the Conklin. IMHO.

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    There is a Guitar Center in this city. But I'm closer to Mars(I think). Anyway, I'll try and see if there is one closer.

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Agree with ya about the Conklin GT7, though it's not for me. Right about the 18th fret I start to run out of hand :rolleyes:

The Mars near me (Detroit) has started carrying Modulus. They even had a 6 string last time I was in there. Then again, Modulus is at least as pricey as a Cirrus and close to a new Hanewinckel or Warwick (assuming Hanewinckel has typical level of discounting).

Peace,

James

12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'm sorry guys but I went to Mars today and fell in love with another bass. Cort Artisan B4 Fretless, I spent an hour and a half playing it. I think I'm getting it Wednesday so I can get 10% off(It'll take care of the tax :D).

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Artisan's are killer basses for the price.

Enjoy!:)

14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I will, thanks.