1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-String Recomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebe9, Apr 27, 2006.

1. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Hi all.

I am seriously considering a 6 stringed bass to add to my current setup.

I am looking for a good quality bass that will provide me with a warmer tone but with the abilty to become gritty if need be, basically as near to an all in one as possible.

For this reason I was considering either a Warwick Thumb/Corvette/Streamer (I am positively biased towards Warwick) or a Yamaha TRB of some sort.

My basic budget at this point is in the region of US$2500.

What I am looking for is some recommendations; however preferably nothing in the custom luthier range due to my current location (South Africa) i.e. something that the local music store would be able to order in for me.

Thanks in advance

2. Used Roscoe

Ryan Lunneborg's Modulus Quantum 6 that's been on the "Classifieds" here.

Anymore, I feel badly for anyone that has to rely on their local music store (except in some rare instances) for excellent equipment in that price range.

3. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    +1

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Before choosing a brand or model, you should first research and determine what kind of string spacing you would want at the bridge. I think most 6-stringers will tell you this is critical.

Do you have or have played a 5-string?

Do you know if you like narrow or regular/wide string spacing?

The good news is that you have a nice bubget for it.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Peavey Cirrus. Ignore the lower price assosciations of the brand, they're truly stunning basses. What TB Player said are good ideas too, I've played a Q6 and it was rather nice, no Roscoe experience but I've never seen an unhappy thread about them.

6. Carvin Icon, it's the six string I'm getting this year.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    My main problem/reason for try trying to go for something that the local music store can source is because of the import taxes should I try to ship direct, plus the fact that I am in a band with a couple of the guys at one of the biggest stores thus meaning employee discount.

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Can you try em out in advance?

A Warwick 6 may be neck heavy and dive depending on your body type, and the way you strap it on. I cannot play a Thumb, regardless of how nice the bass is because it neck dives on me when I strap it on, or if I sit down with it.

Another thing to consider besides string spacing is scale length as well.

9. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa

I am currently selling a 5er at the moment, funny you should ask. I would be looking for a spacing similar to the Yamaha TRBJP2 which I think (please corret if wrong) is in the 18-19mm range. So esentially something with a wider neck.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Scale wise, it would have to be minimum of a 35 scale.

I have heard that about the warwick thumb, hence consideing the corvette or streamer because of the "heavier" body compensating for that.

I tend to side the bass with the bottom curve of the body just above my hip so that it hangs over my stomach area.

As for the trying out in advance, not all models will be available, i.e. not all available in a sixer version, but a fiver in the corvette and the thum and a sixer in the yamaha are available.

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Unless things have changed, the Warwick 5s and 6s come in 34" scale standard.

I would try out the Warwick 5s at the shop. If it dives as a 5, it will definitely dive on you as a 6.

12. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Sorry on the scale front (its late and I had a long day) I meant 34 scale, for some reason I thought my main bass was a 35 :meh:

I did try out the thumb 5er today and did not find neck dive to be a problem (think to height i sit it on my body helps to compensate)

I think Iam in actual fact pretty sold on the thumb 6er, but just trying to find out what else there is as a serious consideration.

13. for that price I would go for the Warwick, or you could get a Carvin Icon with alot of nice options added to it!

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Actually for $2500 US, you can almost get a new Roscoe.

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I agree with the comments about the Warwicks. A Thumb 6 would have a huge neck, be heavy , and would neck dive.

Carvin is a good option pricewise, but the necks are pretty big (chunky and wide) too.

An F Bass seems to be an option, but the cost a bit more.

An used Ken Smith would really fit the bill - the 18 mm spacing is perfect, the necks are comfortable, they are 34"-scale and they can be found at great prices.

And, yes, Roscoes are worth looking into, although they are 35"-scale.

16. Cirrus ;) .

17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    How about one of these? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=513258

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one of the higher end Tobias Classic 6 strings and love it. The neck is the part I like most about it. They are asymetrical which fits the hand real nice. I'm not sure what the string spacing is but it is noticeably more narrow than my Warrior 6 string. The custom bartolini pickups sound real nice too; especially with the mid pan switch. You can play these things fast for a six string!

18. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I personally an not a fan of Tobias in the least.
    I have been rather unimpressed with the models that I have played. Thus would not really consider a Tobias.

Quick question, what is the company that the previous "head honcho" of Tobias back in the day has now started?

19. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    [/QUOTE]Quick question, what is the company that the previous "head honcho" of Tobias back in the day has now started?[/QUOTE]

MTD

20. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    MTD