6 String recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unrealrocks, May 16, 2005.

1. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Well I want to get into playing 6 string, so I'm after a budget 6 string bass. My budget is around £400.

I've been looking at the IBANEZ BTB556MP and Ibanez BTB 406QM but the reviews seem average, I was wondering if they are any I'm missing.

It has to be avalible in the UK is about the only restriction. Cheers :)

(BTW - I play mostly rock, will expect to play things like dream theater, SymphonyX etc. on it although do venture into funk sometimes. My rig is an Ashdown EVO-II 500 and an ABM 4x10)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How big are your hands? I have fairly small hands and can't get them around the neck of an Ibanez BTB 6 string. Check out the SR506, very sweet bass with passive Bartolini pickups, active preamp and a fairly narrow neck.
  3. take a look at the john myung signature yahama, pretty thin neck

especially good if your planning on playing DT
  4. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Okey cheers for the advise, that Ibanez SR looks nice.

Yeah - I was tempted by the JM2 but its abit out of my price range really :(
  5. I got this. not sure where you'd get 1.

AXL Tiger Pro.

it really comfey to play and has a real nice tone but it is electric pick ups. I found someing similar the other day as well it was a johnson or something. look and the thread i started "does anyone know anything about this". hope this helps.

Attached Files:

6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Budget 6ers to consider:

Peavey Fury 6- looks, feels, and sounds like a more expensive bass. Width: 2" nut, 3.25" heel

Ibanez SR506- another good budget sixer with a darker tone than the Peavey due to the darker woods. Width: 2.125" nut, 3.25" heel

ESP/LTD B206- I never got to try one, but the brand usually has good build quality and newer B206s have EMG pickups now.

Samick Fairlane 6- narrowest 6-string neck you can get these days. Width: 2" nut, 3.1" heel.

Spector Legend 6- It's a Spector. 'nuff said.

Used Carvin.