1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string set with .110 E string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Detonation, Feb 24, 2006.

1. I'm playing a 6 string bass that I tune down two steps. Since I play quite aggressive I need to have high-tension strings. The main requirement is that the B string is .130 and the E string is .110. I like stainless steel but nickel would also be ok. So far, I have not found any manufacturer who provides these sets. Who has a suggestion?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Buy a thick 4-string set and get a single .130 B and .35 C.
    DR Lo Riders are quite tight, and have a nice fingerstyle growl. IIRC, they have a thick 4-string version.
    I found TI Powerbass strings to be even higher tension (or so I feel), but they got quite expensive...

Anyway, are you sure you need to detune? Notes under D are less and less intelligible in a mix, you can't make out what goes on there beside some low-end rumble. Just my opinion, though.

3. Buying a 4-string set and adding the B and C is an option indeed, thanks for pointing out.

As for the D-tuning: my band tunes down 2 steps and most songs are written in D. It is much easier for me to have an 'open' D as well for some of the riffs, but I also like the option of going lower then that D every now and then, so tuning the B up to D is not an option. Also, I like the choice of being able to play the D on the fifth position of the B string (A, in my case), it's convenient for some riffs.

4. For now I've ordered a custom set, http://www.bassguitarstrings.us/ offered DR custom sets at no extra charge, so I've ordered a couple of 130-110-90-70-50-35 sets to see how I like them. I will try the Foderas as soon as I have some more money.