Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist31588, Aug 29, 2003.

1. budget... $450 (and I have $0 right now).......

I've been thinking of Peavey Grind 6 string, the neckthrough model. I'd like a 35" scale... HOw are those cheapo $279 deals from Rondo music? I'm really just looking for a decent 6'er but I've just got no money:eek: anyways, no BTB's, I'm not buying used basses.

2. If you're not into buying a used bass then your choice just might be the Rondo basses. I haven't played a six but I hear they're great for the price, and right in your range.

3. wierd...... so you'd reccomend those brice's over the Peavey Grind? I'm not looking for a piece of ****, I've got a Shecter Stilleto Elite 5 string that is awesome, tight low B, slap monster... i'm looking for a tight B on the 6'er as well, but I'm NEEDING a high C. I just dont have the cash to blow on a Ken Smith bass:oops: Anways, something to get me by for a year or two until i can afford a Peavey Cirrus or something....... I'm not so sure I want to settle with a 6 string that's mediocre compared to my Schecter, a nice bass. Like I said, I just need a 6 string... I dont want to sell my schecter either as I just love it......

4. Scamp

Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    most of the reviews of the ntb grind basses from peavey have been fairly positive. The harmony central reviews average an 8 for sound. I have the 5 string version on order but havn't got it yet.

5. Honestly I've never played a Peavey. Just sort of relating peoples opinions.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Used Carvin,, period

IMO..

I got mine for 475 with hardshell case. Now,, you might have to settle for a strange color, but I still think a carvin would be your best bet.

There was a FLAME RED carvin 6 string at a local GC that played beautifully and had good tone,, for only 499,, and I bet it was sold for under that.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you don't want to buy used, then your options are very, very limited, especially if you're looking for high quality. The sixers under $500 new that I can think of would be:
    Mr. Potato bass (seriously-research it)
    Brice basses from Rondo Music
    A Dean Edge bass
    maybe a Cort Curbow (probably your best bet)
    Carlo Robelli
    Toby 6 from MusicYo.com

I've heard that the Grinds are of uneven quality from TB member Peter Parker, who had to send several back from his store because of quality control issues; you can find his exact statements if you do a keyword search.

8. I got a used sixer I could sell for $400:D :D :D ;)

9. what is it?

I'll have to pay you in potatoes as I have no money........ Or if its a good enough bass I'll trade you my schecter 5:p

10. bump...... Im just looking for comments on build construction on that 6 string bubinga Brice on Rondomusic.com... it's the very last one on the site.

11. Well, if you are in need of a tight B string, then don't even think about the Grind. The two five string grinds that I've played had the worst B strings I've ever seen. Used would definitly be the way to go.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you can get a Cort Curbow 6 with the Korean Barts, that is your best bet, IMHO. I have one and I love it. It is a sweet bass.

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
  14. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I vaguely remember someone on TB having a bass like that and really liking it(the Fernandes that is). Never played one though.

15. I've played a Fernandes six like that, and it was a pretty nice bass. And I have to disagree with Planet Boulder on the Curbow. I have hated every curbow that I've played, and I know another bassist that didn't like the Curbow six that he played at all either.

16. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    bassman1185 illustrates the key to ANY bass purchase above: Play it before buying if at all possible.

If opinions vary as much as Bassman's and mine do on a particular bass, it's likely an acquired taste.