6 string...solos?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 18, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i was thinking if the bass player possessed a 6 string bass and could play along with the guitarist.......if his setup was correct.....i mean would it be possible to play solos like a guitarist on a 6 s?tring
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Well the strings are alot different, the pickups and different and the amps are different.

So... I honestly don't know how much "like" a guitar solo it would be. But you can solo on any bass whether it has 8 strings or 1.

Go for it!
  3. If you mean can you play the same notes, yes.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You can play the same notes whether you are on a 6 or a 1 string..they just might be in different octaves. The guitarist's range will go higher than a 6 string bass.

Regardless, i know tons of soloists who dont use a 6 string. Its only 5 extra notes!
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you do want to go up that high, why not just play guitar?

Even if their ranges match, an extended range bass will still sound slightly different than a standard guitar. Listen to Stanley Clarke on piccolo bass or John Patitucci on six-string. Or Brian Bromberg. Wait...bad example. NOT Bromberg.
  6. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Steve Bailey is known for his six string solo stuff that sounds awfully like a guitar (whether that's a good thing or not is up to you). He uses a lot of distortion at times too.
  7. :D

wasn´t that the guy with a 6-string tuned E-A-D-G-B-E? (like a guitar, that is....)

8. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    The Bass, why did you have to post that...that was going to be my point! Completly stole my thunder. Anyway...I want to (sooner or later) string a six-string E-A-D-G-B-E and play chords and solos right along, note for note, with the guitar. Little (lot of, maybe) distorstion, little wah, maybe some reverb (go for the Eddie Van Halen lead guitar-ish kinda sound...), I bet it would be cool as hell!