Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-string string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Aug 29, 2005.

1. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    What string spacing do you have on your six-string bassess?
    What are the pro's and con's of a wide or narrow string spacing?

2. I'm used to having about 17mm spacing on 5:s and 6:es. The benefit from narrow spacing is (for me anyway) that fast runs up and down the fretboard is easier, your hands might adjust easier to the new strings. Chordal playing _should_ be easier, as you don't have to stretch your fingers as far.

Wide spacing makes it easier to slap, but it's really a matter of adjusting, and personal taste. Heck, if you've got frying pan hands, maybe 19 mm spacing feels like 17mm to you.

My advice is to try out things, and see what you like.
    Generally, 17mm is standard on most 6:ers, while 19mm can be hard to get on a non-custom bass (except Warwick Thumb broadnecks). So ask yourself if you are willing to pay a bit extra to get the spacing you need!

3. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    I'm lucky to find a person that runs a one-man-guitar-repair-shop in the neighbourhood, who's getting enough money off repairing, so he claims :D . He's building guitars/basses on order for just a little more as the price of the parts (so no working hours :cool: ). I can choose wathever woods and parts I like.
    For the string spacing I was thinking that If I got the same as the string spacing of the 4'er I now play, it wouldn't be to difficult to adjust playing with a 6'er. But maybe it would become too wide then (that would be 19 mm).

By the way, I'm going to use a bridge from www.abm-mueller.de . any opinions? I once got a replacement done on my ibanez sr, wich meant a lot more sustain.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've only ever owned one six string and it has relatively narrow spacing. I like it a lot. I play that bass fingerstyle and play chords.

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have both an 18mm and a 19mm. I've had a 17mm as well in the past. For me, 17mm is way to narrow. I've used the 19mm for quite a few years and have definitely become used to that spacing but I've had people play my bass and complain that it was too wide for them. My latest six is 18mm and I have to admit that I'm really enjoying that spacing. It feels very natural and comfortable. There is plenty of room for slapping and popping - which was my complaint when using the 17mm bass.

My advice, try a few different configurations. What works for me is likely very much because of my particular hand size, etc. What works for some may not work for you.