Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-string string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 11, 2002.

1. what's the generally accepted string spacing (at the nut and at the bridge) for a 6-string?

i assume there will be a range, but i have no idea what that range might be. i'm considering building a bass, and 6 strings is looking attractive right now.

any measurement from any bass is appreciated.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hello,
    Bridge Spacing:
    Most used (on inexpensive 6 strings mostly) is 15mm at bridge. I find it a little tight but still playable for people with small hands. 16mm is common too.

My preference (As I have small hands but need to have room for some techniques) is 17 to 18mm at bridge. I find this roomy and still comfortable to play.

19 or 20mm is know as the standard WIDE spacing for 6 String Basses. I find this too much on some basses, but it depends on the nut spacing and the scale lenght.

21 or more is just TOO MUCH.

My suggestion for the bridge is to use a spacing-adjustable one and make the neck wide enough for a medium nut (2.10) and 18mm spacing

For the Nut:
    2.05 Inches is comfortable to me as thats what I have on my Warwick.
    2.17 is considered Wide.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    My Hanewinckel 6 has 17.5mm (11/16") spacing at the bridge, and a 1-15/16" nut. I like both just fine (I have smallish hands).

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  5. The Dingwall 6 strings I have played are 18mm string spacing. This is quite comfortable. I played an F bass 6 string also, it has 19mm spacing, this was also quite comfortable, but I could see how for some people that may be getting up into a very wide neck. I would personally say that 17 to 19mm would be ideal for a 6 string.

Geoff

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The standard "narrow" spacing for 6-strings is 2" nut, 3-1/16" bridge. Ibanez and Carvin use this arrangement. I personally love it, but then I don't slap at all; can't speak to how it'd be for that.

7. Thank you very much for the replies.....