Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String sugestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vitimin, Mar 24, 2004.

1. vitimin

vitimin

Mar 24, 2004
    I'm planning on buying a new bass in the near future and I'm looking for some sugestions. I currently have a 5 string Ibanez SR405. It has been great for the last 11 or so years, but its time for a new bass. I would like to get a 6 string. Perfeably with active pick ups. (I'm welcome to suggestions on active vs. non active pick ups aswell.) I also prefer a thinner neck and light body. My price range is under 1000. But I want something pro quailty as well. Any suggestions?

2. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I just got my first 6 string, an older Carvin and I love it. :bassist:

3. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    what'd you do with ur old bass?? would you be willing to sell it?? how much??

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im really happy with the old carvin LB76 that i have. im sure the newer ones are better

5. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Traded a washburn rb200 and a copley five string stait accross. I also have fretless frankenjazz fretless built off miscelaneous ebay part(good ones), but I would never sell it, it sounds too expensive :p

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Peavey Cirrus. 18 volt active circuit and pick ups,THIN neck,very light; maybe ten pounds. Used: $900 seems to be an average price. Ask just about anyone here,Cirrus basses are serious contenders with much higher priced basses. -Luke

7. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Warmoth gecko for me!
    Sounds as good as it looks!

8. I'll probly be selling my Ibanez SR-506 in 2 months or so to get a new bass...i've enjoyed it...great low end for finger style...low but not muddy.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WURD!!!

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  11. vitimin

vitimin

Mar 24, 2004
    Thanks everyone for your sugesstions. I'm going to check out all of them. I'll be sure to keep you posted on what I decide. As for my Iabanez I was going to keep it as a back up. But I may change my mind. I'm willing to take offers if you had a price in mind. Thanks again.
    :hyper:

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I second Ryan's recommendation of checking out the Cirrus in that thread. Cirrus's are incredible basses, and you'd be getting a steal for $850!

13. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I think you need an Alvarez 6 string with a purpleburst finish on quilt maple. I "heard" that they are great basses. And I might just know where you can find one cheap. :D

really though, definately try the Cirrus. And I will second the Gecko if you are good at putting a bass together. You can pick everything on that. If you can do your own finish, should be under $1000 for everything (depending on how fancy you go)

14. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    I have an Ibanez sr 406, and I am pleased with it. Nice tight b string with active pickups. The neck is 35 inches in length, and the body is colored black. I have been thinking about selling it. I would like to dip into the fretless world. If you are interested drop me a PM.