Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Jan 1, 2004.

1. im looking for a decent 6 string that is affordable about in the 500 dollar range. I was thinking along the lines of a Ibanez BTB 406, any other good suggestions?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB406 is probably the cream of the crop in that price range. But you should play a Peavey Fury 6 before you decide. I like the Fury better, because it has better electronics(and sound) but I can't get one with the narrow string spacing. The BTB has nice wide string spacing, like I prefer.

3. how much is the Peavey? is it active? mroe about the ibanez, how is the active electronics?

4. i play an ibanez btb406qm v v smooth bass imo i really like nice to play good kneck for that price range i recomend the ibanez

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My bass teacher plays a Yamaha TRB something something something, he knows what he is doing.

6. the TRB 6 strings are pretty expensive, isn;t the Patitucci sig a TRB? those run for like 2 grand.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Fury has 3 band active EQ, and has the same pickups that the Cirrus does.

The preamp in the BTB is pretty decent, for an active bass at that price.

The Fury 6 runs around $500.

If I were buying based on stock electronics, I would get the Fury.

If I were buying based on playability and preferred wide string spacing, I would get the BTB.

If I were buying based on playability and preferred a narrow neck with tighter string spacing, I would get the Fury.

8. the btb has passive pickups and a 3 band eq which is a good combo get sum good tones out of it

9. i thought they were active pickups. they look like active, i guess ya learn something new everyday.

10. katydid

katydid

Dec 31, 2003
    Dean makes good 6 string basses at good prices. Try out the Edge Q basses and see what you think. They are around $550.

11. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  12. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You could probably find a used carvin for that price if you shop around. They are great basses when set up properly. The BTB's also look nice.

http://www.edfriedland.com has sound clips of stock carvins played REALLY well hehe.

13. I second that..... I just bought one of the very last ones they had in stock and it's a great bass let me tell you. I'd go with the newer Pro-B basses with the assymetrical necks though, just because they look really nice:D

here's mine. $429, what the hell else can you expect? I'm happier I got this than one of those Brice basses.[​IMG]

14. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003

the sig is like $1600 or so, but the normal trb's are around $1200.

15. those seem pretty nice, Tobias makes some nice basses. I have something against cheap 5 and 6 strings that are 200-300 dollars like brices. I made the mistake with getting an olp where the B string is absolute sheeeit

16. I got a Peavey Grind NTB 6 string for under $400. The string spacing is a little tight, and it needed an intonation job, but it's a real nice bass.

I'm going to use the money I saved buying this bass, and throw a set of EMGs in there.

17. yeah, the JP TRBs are pretty expensive, but then again they're some of the best production basses out there (embellisher will back me up on this)

however, i have seen the TRB6IIs for as low as 750 new, and i promise you won't find a better 6er in that price range no matter how hard you look!

18. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Embellisher:

If you upgraded the BTB406QM's Pickups, do you think that would level the playing field? Does anyone know if any aftermarket pickups will fit into the 406QM's slots? I was hoping if I picked up a 406QM, that I could get some EMG's in there. Any ideas?

19. Poon,
    If you know someone with one, or can get access to one, then just measure the pickups. Once you have the dimensions you'll know if EMGs would fit.

Maybe someone on this board that has one can get a mesurment for us?