Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String under $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xerogh, Oct 15, 2002.

1. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I'm looking for a decent 6 String under $1000. So far I've narrowed it down to a Toby ProB6 Custom and a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6. Does anyone have opinions on these basses or have any other suggestions?

I've heard some mixed emotions about the Toby's, and really nothing on the Schecter.

I'm only going to be using it for home recording.

Later,

x

2. First of all, you should use the search feature as this has been asked a million times, second, you should look into a Cort Curbow as well. keep in mind I am very biased.:D

3. i've got a peavey cirrus 6 for sale for under a grand if you want. pm me if you're interested.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can get a Peavey Cirrus 6 for $1000 or less, that is the way to go. This bass blows away any 6 under $1000, and some that cost over $2500.

5. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Thanks for the info, I'll check out one of those Peavey's.

I did try one of those Cort Cubrow's, I liked it! I'm actully thinking of getting the 5 string Fretless (I'm looking for a fretless too). That is why I ruled it out as a 6 string.

x

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  7. My advice is to stay away from the Toby Pro. I have never heard anything complimentary about them. Yes, the Bass Player review was favorable, but the "real world" players are not as nice.

Used Ibanez, Cort Curbow, used Carvin, some like Peavey, maybe a Hohner....

HOpe this helps.

8. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I took a chance and bought the Schecter Studio 6. I got to play an Elite (lower in the Schecter food chain) that had similar shape and electronics and it sounded good (although it was a 5 string).

I sent an email to Schecter asking a bunch of questions and got great service. And I found one for $625 (everyone else was $700+).

I also own a Schecter 7-string guitar that I like a lot.

We'll see. I should get it early next week, I'll post a review after I put through the motions.

:p

9. Ibanez BTB 406. i paid $850(canadian) for mine, new. one of the nicest basses i've ever played.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So you want to give us a review of of how your Studio 6 ended up treating you? I'm thinking of eventually getting a 6, and this is one of the ones on my list that i'm thinking of. Let me know what ya think of it. Thanks.

11. Yeah, I have some major GAS for the Schecter and am very interested in hearing your reveiw.

12. Congrats on buying the Schecter. It's quite an extraordinary value. I've investigated them myself and the only thing that gave me pause is the control layout (TWO volume controls). :mad: :spit: :mad: :spit:

Every thread on this forum which asks for advice about which bass to purchase, but limits the dollar amount, will generate a response which recommends to buy some very good bass, but USED.

I'm not so sure. There is risk to buying a used instrument. Sometimes people sell an instrument for a reason that has nothing to do with quality (e.g., they discovered they hate playing a 6, or they've graduated to a 5 and no longer play a 4). But sometimes there is some problem with their instrument (which may not be apparent right away), or they're trying to spin off the runt of the litter.

My two rupees.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Do a search on this forum, and you'll find some of us "real world" players who own them and like them. They are well made, easy playing basses with the only negative being the preamp. I replaced it with a Bart and it is now a great bass.

There are quite a few who don't like them too, and a few who don't like them but have never played one...

Have you ever played one? If not, how can you give advice on them?

14. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I would also stay away from the Toby Pro, I had the 5 string. Replaced the nut, pickups, electronics, it still blows. I spent more money trying to upgrade the thing than it was worth. You cannot polish a turd. The Peavey would be a good choice. IMHO

Good Luck :cool:

15. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    im glad to see the curbow was at least mentioned once, even though it cost FAR less then the other basses.
    :D

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm still waiting on that review! LOL.