6 string useful or just GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frosty, Feb 18, 2003.

1. frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    I've been playing a long time (mostly Fenders) and
    do have a so-called highend(Warwick) and an active
    5-string. I'm considering a 6 string in trade, but do
    you really use that hi C very much? Or does this
    being a different instrument lend itself to inspiration
    (or confusion)? Any opinions please? Thanks.
  2. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You might want to check out one of the slew of other threads that's covered 6 string basses.

My thoughts? It depends on you. Whenever I play a 6, I find a lot of use for the high C. Usually more so than the low B. Others have little or no use for the C. Personally, I find them more comfortable than 5's.

Best advice I can give you is to play them at the stores whenever possible and see how you like them.
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Frosty, my friend, I think that you nailed it with the above statement. or was that a question???

I've found a great deal of inspiration with my 6'er.
  4. frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    Thanks fellas.
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm with Jerry...
    I tried them several times...put it off, but everytime I picked one up I enjoyed having both the low B and high C strings. Plenty of options with it. Finally I broke down and bought one. Fun so far...
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play my 6 more than any of my 4's or 5's. So many more tonal possibilities!
  7. i think the reason i own my six is just to have the feel of a six string, for some reason im just wany more creative with my six than with my 5. (and i only use the c string for chordal stuff and tapping and following my g****rist on crazy stuff:D )
  8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You know, John Myung does a fine job showing what can be done with a 6 string bass. He proves that they are more that GAS. Check out Ytse Jam. BTW- does anyone here know anything about the new John M. Sig bass from Yamaha?
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    6 string useful or just GAS?

6 string is GAS.

7 string is useful.
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I can imagine JT coming in and saying "Why get a 6 when you have a 7?"

11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think they'd be useful to me if I could solo worth a damn.
  12. Hi C? Yes, I drink it before every gig. I really like the fruit punch flavor.
    In all seriousness, I use the high C quite a lot. 6 string basses come with their own difficulties, muting in particular, but open many creative doors. One thing I see as an advantage for 6 string fretless is that upper register notes can be played in a lower position, making the intonation easier to nail. I tend to switch between 6 string and 4 string. Sometimes it is a nice challenge having to rethink how to play lines on a 4 string that were created on the 6, and vice versa.
  13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I went 6 for the upper-range solo possibilities. Loved it so much, I'm now all 7 all the time.

Depending on your strings and setup, in general you should NOT expect the C string to deliver BASS. That jes' ain't whut it's FER. When I'm in heavy grooving, I'm down on the B,E,A, and D just like I would on any other bass. But for solos, and like fretless5verfan mentioned playing unison licks with the guitars, it's a BLAST to have that extra string there when you need it.

I say we go for it! THere are lots of inexpensive 6's available; there's an Essex, and Carlo Robelli at sCam cAsh, for under $300. They're cheap basses, but they'll certainly give you enough of a feel to decide whether you want to go further or not. The Ibanez SR-406 is a little higher quality, and you can usually find 'em on Ebay under $400.

Good luck, and let us know where you wind up!
  14. Despite the fact that he used a four string bass on that entire album:confused:

I do, however agree that he uses his six string to it's full advantage. Check out: scarred, lifting shadows off a dream (really nice harmonic groove), solar groove, The Glass Prison, Lines in the sand (another cool harmonic bit that uses the high c), Dance of Eternity (shred bass solo that utilizes the high c quite a bit->He actually uses all of the strings on that song)......there are so many it would be too hard to name them all.

His new signature bass should be introduced at this summers NAMM if I'm not mistaken.....(I could be wrong)....looks very promising!

Rock on!:bassist:
  15. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    OK- I feel stupid. I just figured that even though the tab for that song was in the 4 string format, he used a 6 string Tung. Enlighten me on the bass he used!
  16. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    As a really hot girl once told me "the more the merrier". :confused:
  17. I don't personally have use for anything past a 5 at this moment, but a 6 is not totally out of the question. I have no use for anything above a 6. I just don't use THAT much highs.

Many people love 7's and up. That's great. They are awesome instruments. Just not for me.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jaco only needed 4 strings.
  19. Certainly.

For When Dream And Day Unite-the first album that includes Ytsejam John used a Ernie Ball Music Man 4 string bass with an added pick-up. This was before he got into six string basses. You can see this in the cover for WDADU as well as early footage of "The Killing Hand" in Mike Portnoy's basement.

Images and Words was also on four string bass-I think it was his Spector four string. But this is when he started to get annoyed because for the song "Take the Time" he used a low C# which would mean he would have to down-tune. This is when he started experimenting with *I could be wrong with the basses* spector and Tobias six string basses. He made the jump directly from 4 to 6. You can see that he uses a RED Tobias six string in the "Pull me under" video as well. The reason I think you're confused is that there is a video clip you can find on kazaa called "John Myung bass solo" where he does the bass solo on a six string Tobias bass. This is after he recorded the album though, and It was probably around 92' 93'.

Then came Awake, and he went with the Tung basses which are really nice looking basses. And after that he went to yamaha TRB's followed by his signature bass during FII.

So there you have it! (kind of) If you need more info check out http://www.johnmyung.com for more on how and why he changed to the mighty six string. :)

Rock on!:bassist:
  20. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    funny you should say that.....ahem...YOU only needed 4 strings...at one time...;)