6 string vs another bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 25, 2002.

1. I've been looking for a new bass for a while, and I took a trip to Chuck Levin's (washington music center), and they carry EVERYTHING. Anywayy, I really like the Peavy cirrus, (recommended to me here and by bassists I know) The problem is I want a 5 string, but they only have 4 and 6.

Should I just Get the 6 string, or just get a different bass? I know this is weird, but the folks at Peavy appear evil right now.
  2. In my opinion, if you played the 6 and you don't know that it is the right bass for you then you should keep looking. Maybe the 5 is right or maybe somebody else's 6 is right.

Every bass I've purchased in the past 10 years was based on the instant recognition that it was the right instrument for me at the time. I have passed up on many instruments that didn't feel right to me. Ironically, when I bought my first 6-string, I wasn't even looking for a new instrument. I tried it out and fell in love with it on the spot. It was an old Ibanez 886. It was the first six-string that my local guitar center ever had. The exact same thing happened a few years ago when I got my Warwick Corvette 6-string. In both cases, I went home and brought in my old bass and traded it in on the spot.

Anyway, my recommendation is that you keep on trying out different instruments. When you find the one that's right for you, you'll know it.

Currently, I have three Hanewinckels. A six-string fretted, a seven-string fretted and a seven-string fretless. They're great instruments. If you ever find one somewhere, try it out!

- Dave