Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    you see, my birthday is tommarow, june 6. i know im getting money, but how much i dont know.

my question is- what 6 string should i get? under 900$ preferably, mabey a little more

i like-humbuckers

music to be played on- im in a band with keys, bass, guitar, and drums. we play 'heavy prog rock' like dream theater mixed with older stuff, like neil young. we have very varied styles

i was kinda thinkin a carvin LB76, but with all the options id want it would be like 1100.

i was also thinkin a dean edge q6. for like 559$. i could always replace pickups and such

the dean is what i am leaning towards

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    With that kind of money, I'd recommend looking for a very good used one. Try ebay, Harmony Central, I'm sure some other people will recommend other sites.

My first recommendation in your price range would be a Peavey Cirrus 6 used. They go new for ~$1300-1500 and are an incredible deal for that price. If you can find one for under $900, BUY IT. Better by far than any of the basses you mentioned. Another possiblity in that range used would be a Yamaha TRB6 (I do NOT recommend the Myung model, it's just not as good as the TRB). Good luck!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Gard made some good recommendations. If you can find a used Peavey Cirrus 6(I have been looking for 2 months and had no luck:() that would be a great deal.

As far as the Dean goes, there is a much better 6 at the same price point.

The Ibanez BTB406QM. Quilt maple top, 2 humbuckers, monorail bridge, 3/4" string spacing, better electronics with a sweepable mid control, and a much better B string than the Dean.

You could order a stripped down Carvin BB76, but I know that you want the bass to be special and sometimes the cosmetic things make it easier to not want a new bass for a while.

Good luck, and welcome to Talkbass!:)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Check the TalkBass Classifieds. There's a couple of sixers in your price range.

Ok, I'll go now.

Will

5. Embellisher, I think if ya look real hard, you may find the quilt maple top on the Ibanez just may be a photograph. Like the old Fender fotoflames.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought those BTBs have real quilted maple top but it's extremely thin.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    check out the conklin groove tools GT-7 7 string. a few of the folks on the board here have 'em, they compare very favorably to my custom conklins, at a much lower price. you can find them for around $700-$800 used, and less than a grand new from musician's friend. bartolini pickups, bartolini designed preamp, multi-laminate neck, flame maple top - big bargain.

8. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Let me be the one to whole-heartedly recommend the Cort Curbow 6. Actually I think they are now just called the Curbow 6. Anyway, I've had mine for about 6 months, and I love it. It has just one pickup, but the three band EQ and "slap contour" switch can change the sound a bit. Overall I'd describe it's sound as midrangey-growly with plenty of lows if you want them. By the way it's made out of Luthite and has an Ebonol fingerboard.
    You can snag a new one for about $600 or look around and find it for ~$450.
    Good luck!

9. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Try the stripped Carvin and then think about
    putting different pick-ups. I own a carvin and I'm
    planning to do that. Their basses play really well
    and the quality is very good for the money.