Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Madball, Aug 9, 2001.

1. I was thinking about getting a 6 string, I have played a Cort...not bad. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on 6 strings.

Later!

2. hogani

hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a bubinga Ibanez 6 string and have tried the Yamaha's and the Cort's.

I dislike my Ibanez only because the string spacing is too tight; this makes slap playing difficult. Other than spacing, it is a wonderful bass. The other, low-end Ibanez's, though, shoudl probably be avoided.

The Yamaha's are all great. The JP model is fantastic, of course. The TRB's are nice, too. The string spacing on these bases is perfect. Several are available used. The John Myung model is questionable. The tone is o.k., and the fretboard has those confusing swirls. They are confusing! 6 strings is enough of a mental exercise. This however could be overcome with time.

I don't like the Cort's. The body shifts around if you try to play seated. The tone is o.k..

Final recommendation: a used TRB.

Take care.

Bill

3. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    Look at musicyo.com..they have a 6 string tobias there for 630...i just got mine in today...its wicked sweet

4. Cool I appreciate the info.

Yeah I can understand that swirly thing throwin' you off when playing. It is cool looking though, but I just have a thing about playing signiture models...just don't really like that to much.

5. Oh and spelling the word 'signature', that just throws me off as well....haha!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would recommend that you take a look at the Peavey Cirrus 6.

Much more 6 string than the Cort or the Yamaha TRB6 bolt ons, with the exception of the JP model. The only Yamaha's that I really like are the older neck throughs. The are awesome.

As for the price on a Cirrus 6 or a Yamaha neck through, look down in the classifieds section. reedith has a Cirrus 6 for sale and nanook has a neck through Yamaha TRB6 neck through for sale.

Other 6 stringers. Hmm. Pedulla MVP or Thunderbass/Thunderbolt, Roscoe, Zon, Modulus Quantum 6, Warwick Streamer Stage I 6 are all great, but cost a lot of $$$.

In the lower price range, the Ibanez BTB406 is a good 6, and only costs around $650. I prefer it to the Cort Curbow myself.

There is also a Conklin Groove Tools 6 that should be coming out pretty soon, a signature model, but I can't remember who the artist is. If it is anything like the GT7, it will be a killer bass, and should be around $1000 - $1200.

You might also look at the Groove Tools 7. They are an amazing value, I see trhem on Ebay for around $650 used, and GC has theirs marked down to $899 - $999. They are new, but usually pretty dinged up.

Good luck!

7. My brother in law has a Yamaha BTB 6 and I personally think its got to be the best allround 6 for the money. Of course, there are way better six's in the over $2k range, but I'm talking bottom dollar here :p

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Embellisher: That would be the Marcus Mendoza signature. I'm interesting in seeing it, because the Rocco Prestia sig was pretty...interesting! :D

9. embellisher

Angus, you've seen a Rocco in person?

I haven't seen one yet.

Yeah, Marcus Mendoza. That's the name that I was looking for.

I hate to ask this:oops:, who is he?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  13. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Meatball,
    I've owned a Cirrus 6 for a few months now. One thing really great about this bass, other than the sound, is that the neck is very playable. Typically, many manufacturers use a width of 3.5" at the bridge. The Cirrus is closer to 3.0"-3.25", which makes it easier to play (for my hands anyway). The string spacing is not tight, but at the same time, the neck is not as wide as a lot of them out there. Check them out if you get a chance.
    Digs

14. embellisher

Digagroove, that's my only(small) gripe with my new Cirrus 6.

I wish that the spacing was a little wider.

15. B@$$!$T

B@$$!$T

Aug 12, 2001
    I have owned the Yamaha TRB6 and RBX6 (JM sig) - the TRBs are very nice instruments, comes with piezos too - great sound. The RBX has too narrow strings IMO. I agree with hogani - get a used TRB - go for the first series, with the neck-through and piezo. Don't go for the second series, which has a more narrow string spacing, and bolt-on neck. Don't go fo the John Pattituci model - it's bolt-on and some of the tone knobs are in the control cavity (as per his instructions).

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you might have to wait a while for that one. i was talking to bill about it at the namm show and marco might not want to part ways with his fernandez.

there are pics of him on tour with ted nugent playing some custom conklin 4 strings over at the nuge's website www.tnugent.com.

17. To B@$$!$T; (cool name dude), Yamaha still makes the neckthru TRB6P with piezos, similar to the old one, but with slightly narrower string spacing, and 35" scale.

18. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi Marty,

I've changed my posting ID to this one - thanks for the info - I didn't know that - I was recently at their website to get some pics to sell my Yamaha, and found that they only had bolt-on models. They must have some neck-thrus still available...

19. embellisher

Bass Guitar, they have started making the neck throughs again, but they are not on the website.

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany