1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-stringers: Modulus Q6 vs Cirrus 6 vs Yamaha TRB-JP2 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ValeriusCrow, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Peavey Cirrus 6

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Modulus Quantum 6

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Yamaha TRB-JP2 6

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other (write in comments)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Hello, 6-string bass guiteers, I have some sort of dilemma: I want to buy a six-string bass and I have three sweet options on russian second market:
    - Modulus Quantum 6
    - Peavey Cirrus 6
    - Yamaha TRB-JP2 6

All basses are quite heavy for me (4,5 and 4,2 kg respectively for Modulus and Cirrus) - but the main question is sound. I really like what Oteil Burbridge gets with his Modulus, but what really differs those basses for me A LOT is price:
    - Cirrus ~1350$
    - Modulus ~ 1950$
    - Yamaha ~ 1750$

So - what are your thoughts on reasonable 6-stringer? Maybe some other ideas? My ears are open and i'd like to hear opinions from users of those. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    Go with the modulus

JoeJeffries.com and ajkula66 like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The advantage of the Yamaha is wide, 19mm, spacing at the bridge if you like that. The Modulus will give you a super stable neck, which may be important if you like in an area with great shifts in temperature and humidity.
    The Cirrus, however, will have a stable neck too, especially if it has purpleheart stringers in the neck. I happen to love the Cirrus tone. To my ears, the Cirrus tone resemble the tone of a Ken Smith bass.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Modulus Q6
    Almost no question.

I say "almost" because some years back I had a chance to buy a used Q6 at the local store for about $1000. I tried it out and turned it down! The reason was it had EMG pickups and I am no fan of EMG pickups. I probably should have bought it anyway and changed the pickups, but I didn't. Later I got my current Q6 which has Barts and I'm in heaven. Better (in my humble opinion) than any other 6 string including my Alembic, OK?

5. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    I own a Yamaha JP2. It is a beautiful instrument and I like the wide string spacing. It also has a great "studio" tone. However, it is very heavy – about 12 pounds (5.44 kg). I have never tried to play it for a full set while standing.

I have never played a Modulus, as far as I know they are of high quality but with narrower string spacing than I like.

* The few Cirrus basses that I have played were very comfortable and solidly built, good sound and reasonable weight. I voted for the Cirrus.

My write-in choice, by far, is anything Dingwall. That's what I play 99% of the time.

Conkal likes this.
  6. I really like Modulus in terms of sound - but man, for the money I can buy Cirrus 6, Cirrus 4 and will still have some money for beer :D

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    1)buy Modulus
    2)play well, sound amazing
    3)people buy beer for you
    :woot:

elgecko and kesslari like this.
  8. But again - if there are any similiar options with smaller weight? I'm not sure if I will be able to play 2 hour set with 4,5 kilos on my back

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Seriously though, the Yamaha is going to feel pretty different from the other two. A 6 string with 19mm spacing is a wide beast, and most players will either love it a lot or hate it a lot. Both the Q6 and the Cirrus are 17mm.

Another important point - is the Cirrus a USA built model? If it is then it's worth considering; if not, it's way overpriced, in my opinion.

Modulus Quantums are famous for great, consistent tone, all over the neck. The common description is "it's like playing one big string".

Assuming a USA Cirrus, they're all quality instruments. Play them and see what feels and sounds best for you.

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The only 6 I can think of that would be significantly lighter would be a Status Stealth 6, which are pretty rare on the used market. New, they're about $3000 USD (2200 GBP; don't know what your exchange rate is).

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I know the feeling! I had to plunk down more than two grand for my Q6 and I can only say I'm glad I did. Note I also have a Ken Smith 6 and an Alembic 6 both of which are killer basses and rather different in character from the Q6, but while they are great if I could only have one, it would be the Modulus. In my opinion the only bass better than than the Q6 is the Modulus neck-through TBX. And they REALLY cost some coin!

12. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    For quality of tone I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. If you need/want wide spacing, the Yamaha is the obvious choice. At the other end of the spectrum, I think the Modulus is going to be narrower than the Cirrus.

I played a Cirrus 4 for years - having that tone in a 6 would be awesome. I tried a Modulus 6 at Bass Central a few years ago, and didn't care for how that particular one sounded. I like carbon instruments (Steinberger, Status, etc.) so Modulus is attractive to me but I won't own one with tone that doesn't fit the context of what I'm playing. Since my ideal string width is 16-17 mm for 6+ stringed basses, the Yamaha is out.

So I can't help you here other than to listen to them both through your gear if possible, understand exactly what your tonal needs are, and get the one that meets your needs the best.

Raz

13. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I love my Mod Q5 (w EMG's) and highly recommend Modulus.
    But at the same time I'll say, my Fender J has a ton of round, warm tonality and growl.
    They are just different and IMHO the Mod has a wetter, more complex sound then a J bass (not that you were asking.)

14. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Having owned all three at different times, my vote is for the Modulus. My second choice would be the Cirrus. After 25+ years of playing and trying different instruments, value is what's most important for me. The Cirrus is a no-brainer in terms of value. In fact, it may be THE best in value out there in terms of tone, playability, and neck stability. However, I just can't get see anything better than the Modulus graphite necks! They are stable and impervious to weather changes. Therefore, their dependability adds a significant amount to the "value" factor, in my opinion. The Yamahas are great if you want that wide spacing, as wide spacing certainly does have its vast amount of utility. Furthermore, those wide Yamaha necks have dual truss rods. I don't know why all extended range basses don't follow that same model. But for me, the Yamahas tend to sound too artificial. I can't put my finger on it... I just know it when I hear it.

Anyways, the Modulus tone, for me at least is the most versatile. And, I view the Modulus basses as a customisable canvas as far as electronics. Don't like the EMGs, swap 'em out for something else. Problem solved.

daddymactx likes this.
  15. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    I'm late to this thread. I love my Modulus Q6. I don't know what you ended up with but another nice thing about the Modulus basses is the lack of neck maintenance needed. This time of year I'm usually adjusting or watching for neck movement as we go from Hot Humid North Texas to Dry cold. Not the Modulus. It sits proudly on a stand un affected. Oh and it's tone? It's got such a unique voicing. Playing double stops or extended chords up top with that real crystal clear sound you can only get with a composite neck is to die for. It's got bark down low when you dig in. I have Barts and Bartolini preamp and a chechen board.

bassbenj likes this.