1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I searched this and couldnt fing an answer I want, so Im gonna ask...

ok, my hondo II jazz bass cannot be fixed, so I have given up and I am trying to buy a new bass. It was a 4 string, so I was looking into a fender J-Bass, when I came across some 6 strings. I have a budget of up to about 500 bucks, and I have seen many 6 string basses online that are within this range (ie: Johnson, Dean, Brownsville)

1. Are any of these 6-strings worth the money?
    2. If not are there any that you can reccomend me to try out?
    3. Should I just give it up and go for the fender Jazz bass?

I play a multitude of styles, from classic rock, to gospel, to jazz and I would just like a nice all around bass

thanks~~Joe

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you can stretch the budget some, there are some excellent entry level 6-strings on the market.

1) Peavey Fury 6- this bass looks, feels, and sounds like a bass costing much more.

2) Ibanez SR506- nice woods, great tone and playability. Nice neck too.

3) If the Soundgear feel isn't for you, there's the Ibanez BTB406.

4) ESP B206LTD- I've not played one of these, but ESP is usually a quality product and their sixer now comes with EMGs instead of ESP pickups.

5) People here say the Dean Edge 6 is a good entry level sixer as well.

6) I used to have a Samick Fairlane 6 and it's a surprisingly good bass. The neck is narrower than the average 6-string neck, though.

There's also the used market.

EDIT: But if budget is a major concern, then go with Brice http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitar6.html . There should be much mention of them in the Essex megathread. A bassist in a local band plays a 5-string Brice HXB (the 35" scale one) tuned to A, and it sounds quite good both recorded and live.

3. +1 on the Ibanez BTB406QM, very nice bass, im really happy with it :D

4. i own a johnson six string with gold hardware, active electronics 3band eq. and I like it a lot. great sound and it only cost me about $200.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mixmasta,

Entering your location would help a lot. I've played a Dean 6 stirng in your price range in a music store and liked it a lot. I used to own the 5 string version and I can vouch for a great Dean ownership experience. I loved mine.

6. www.rondomusic.net - click on 6 string and check out the Prestige Z for $450. Neck thru, too! Can't beat it.

I just found ESP's 206 out there as well for about $549, but no one's showing rear pix, so can't tell if it's a bolt on or neck thru.

You can find some low cost 6 strings out there used as well...all depends what you're looking for.

Good luck!

7. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I have one of the Prestige Z neck through six strings as well and it is a very nice bass. Replace the stock strings with the strings of your choice and you'll have quite a nice active bass.

8. Daleb

Daleb

Aug 23, 2005
    I've had the Peavey Grind NTB 6 for over a year and a half. I got mine for $450 through Musician's Friend. Pretty woods and a great feeling and sounding bass.

:bassist:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez Soundgears are nice sixers if you don't mind actives. Personally I prefer passives but am looking to pick up an SR506 with Bartolini's. Really a solid bass, and I'm very impressed with most Soundgears I've played, I got by with a trio of them for two years.

10. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    this is kind of an older thred but

the eps is a bolt on
    it has emg's

does ne one has ne info on it? (sry to thred bump)

11. Once more, in English, please?

12. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I was planning to pick me up an aria 6er I found in a music store in london, but I can't get any more info on it. On here, it looks like it's one of the SB series: Aria Website

Anyone know anything about this bass, apart from what I know that I'm in love with it? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it. Hector

13. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    The ESP LTD 206 is a bolt on neck
    it also has EMG pups

i was wondering if ne one reading this thred might have more info on it or beable to give a decent review

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do you have any reason to go for a 6 String?

If you are happy with 4... most posibly you will enjoy a jazz bass a lot more.

Good 6 stringers are a lot more expensive than good 4 stringers.

15. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Just a warning that cheap string strings typically have narrow string spacing, 5/8" at the bridge or less.

If your a slap and pop player, that could be an issue.

You can pick up a used Yamaha 6string TRP bass for about $900. There is one at the Guitar Center in Conshohoken, PA in pretty good shape. Try e-bay and bassgear.com also.

I also saw a used Carvin for about $500 to $600 also, I can't remember where.

For your budget I recommend going used. You will get more bass for the money.

Good Luck!