6 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I searched this and couldnt fing an answer I want, so Im gonna ask...

ok, my hondo II jazz bass cannot be fixed, so I have given up and I am trying to buy a new bass. It was a 4 string, so I was looking into a fender J-Bass, when I came across some 6 strings. I have a budget of up to about 500 bucks, and I have seen many 6 string basses online that are within this range (ie: Johnson, Dean, Brownsville)

1. Are any of these 6-strings worth the money?
    2. If not are there any that you can reccomend me to try out?
    3. Should I just give it up and go for the fender Jazz bass?

I play a multitude of styles, from classic rock, to gospel, to jazz and I would just like a nice all around bass

2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you can stretch the budget some, there are some excellent entry level 6-strings on the market.

1) Peavey Fury 6- this bass looks, feels, and sounds like a bass costing much more.

2) Ibanez SR506- nice woods, great tone and playability. Nice neck too.

3) If the Soundgear feel isn't for you, there's the Ibanez BTB406.

4) ESP B206LTD- I've not played one of these, but ESP is usually a quality product and their sixer now comes with EMGs instead of ESP pickups.

5) People here say the Dean Edge 6 is a good entry level sixer as well.

6) I used to have a Samick Fairlane 6 and it's a surprisingly good bass. The neck is narrower than the average 6-string neck, though.

There's also the used market.

EDIT: But if budget is a major concern, then go with Brice http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitar6.html . There should be much mention of them in the Essex megathread. A bassist in a local band plays a 5-string Brice HXB (the 35" scale one) tuned to A, and it sounds quite good both recorded and live.
  3. +1 on the Ibanez BTB406QM, very nice bass, im really happy with it :D
  4. i own a johnson six string with gold hardware, active electronics 3band eq. and I like it a lot. great sound and it only cost me about $200.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

Entering your location would help a lot. I've played a Dean 6 stirng in your price range in a music store and liked it a lot. I used to own the 5 string version and I can vouch for a great Dean ownership experience. I loved mine.
  6. www.rondomusic.net - click on 6 string and check out the Prestige Z for $450. Neck thru, too! Can't beat it.

I just found ESP's 206 out there as well for about $549, but no one's showing rear pix, so can't tell if it's a bolt on or neck thru.

You can find some low cost 6 strings out there used as well...all depends what you're looking for.

Good luck!
  7. Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I have one of the Prestige Z neck through six strings as well and it is a very nice bass. Replace the stock strings with the strings of your choice and you'll have quite a nice active bass.
  8. Daleb

Aug 23, 2005
    I've had the Peavey Grind NTB 6 for over a year and a half. I got mine for $450 through Musician's Friend. Pretty woods and a great feeling and sounding bass.

9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez Soundgears are nice sixers if you don't mind actives. Personally I prefer passives but am looking to pick up an SR506 with Bartolini's. Really a solid bass, and I'm very impressed with most Soundgears I've played, I got by with a trio of them for two years.
  10. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    this is kind of an older thred but

the eps is a bolt on
    it has emg's

does ne one has ne info on it? (sry to thred bump)
  11. Once more, in English, please?
  12. Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    I was planning to pick me up an aria 6er I found in a music store in london, but I can't get any more info on it. On here, it looks like it's one of the SB series: Aria Website

Anyone know anything about this bass, apart from what I know that I'm in love with it? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it. Hector
  13. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    The ESP LTD 206 is a bolt on neck
    it also has EMG pups

i was wondering if ne one reading this thred might have more info on it or beable to give a decent review
  14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do you have any reason to go for a 6 String?

If you are happy with 4... most posibly you will enjoy a jazz bass a lot more.

Good 6 stringers are a lot more expensive than good 4 stringers.
  15. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Just a warning that cheap string strings typically have narrow string spacing, 5/8" at the bridge or less.

If your a slap and pop player, that could be an issue.

You can pick up a used Yamaha 6string TRP bass for about $900. There is one at the Guitar Center in Conshohoken, PA in pretty good shape. Try e-bay and bassgear.com also.

I also saw a used Carvin for about $500 to $600 also, I can't remember where.

For your budget I recommend going used. You will get more bass for the money.

Good Luck!