1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey Taylor, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Wanting to get opinions on alternate tunings for 6-string basses. Are 1st & 6th always tuned to a 'B'?
    Has anyone tried different tunings? Just curious.........

2. No, the standard tuning is all in perfect fourths (i.e. BEADGC). If you are a former guitarist thing about putting a major third in there I wouldn't recommend it. The bass is more of a linear than a chordal instrument, and unless you are a Michael Manring, doing many more chords and harmonics, it doesn't make a lot of sense. There has been a trend to do drop tunings (i.e. dadg instead of eadg) but the main reason behind that is also guitaristic and not needed on 6 strings because of the already wide range.

-Chris

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The common tuning for a 6 is BEADGC, but some people do tune them BEADGB or even BEADF#B to facilitate guitar type chordal voicings.

Or, if you buy one with a really stiff neck, and have the sound system to handle it, you could tune it F#BEADG.

4. Chris, thanks for your reply. I have played 4-stringers since 1967 & have had no desire for a 5 or 6, but the Mrs surprised me with an early Christmas gift of an Alvarez AEB6. Now if I can just wrap my fingers around the neck! ( the bass, not hers )

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    When I had by fretless 6, it was tuned F#BEADG - I had to adjust the nut and bridge - worked well, although you do need a good bass rig like embellisher stated. I know a guy who tuned it EADGBE (like a guitar) for chordal stuff.