6-strings, 2 truss rods or one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toe-mas, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    What are you guy's opinions on truss rods in 6+ string basses? I've talked to people that will not buy a 6 without two truss rods, and yet there are a lot of production 6-strings with only one. Is it necessary? Does it depend more on the inherent strength of the neck than anything? Does Wishnevsky have the right idea? ;)
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think for a neck that wide, you need 2 truss rods to get optimum relief. My old Samick Fairlane 6-string had dual truss rods, which really surprised me when Giarmo told me. I think all 6-string basses should have dual truss rods. Yamaha's 6's all have dual truss rods.
  3. ...:scowl:

No. Just...no.

:D Ibanez sixers (BTBs and SRs) have dual truss' too.

I think that there are many options. On a custom, I'd want 2 truss's and graphite reinforcement.
  4. A single dual action and decent neck wood is all that's needed. My 8 string Warrguitar also only has one. My newest instrument in the works is a headless 6 string, one truss rod, but there's Wenge, Purpleheart and hard maple, so I'm not worried at all.
    My old Rick years ago had 2 rods and it was always having issues.
    IMHO of course. ;)
  5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Let's see here,

Roscoe SKB3006 - one truss rod
    MTD 6 - one truss rod
    Skjold exotic custom 6 - one truss rod
    Ken Smith 6 - one truss rod
    F Bass 6- one truss rod

I detect a pattern here with well built 6 string basses.
  6. My Ibanez BTB406qm has 2 truss rods:)

I have no idea how to use two truss rods, as opposed to one though:-o
  7. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    My USA Curbow IEP 6 string Bass got two truss rod. :smug:
  8. Carvins 6 strings have one tross rod as well
  9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I think dual truss rods are great, no matter how many strings you have. My Alembic (like 4-string Rickenbackers) have two. They are not only great for adjusting the relief (the bow), but also for adjusting the twist in the neck. My Dean Edge 6 had two rods and it had some string buzzing on just some of the high strings. So I adjusted just the rod on that side of the neck and bingo...no more buzz. On my Alembic, I can really dial in the neck way more then you can with a single truss rod....
  10. wolvertone

Feb 6, 2006
    I built my own 6 string fretless. The neck is 7 pieces of walnut and mahogany with a bubinga fingerboard and NO trussrod.

Sure the neck is a little thicker than normal (ok, a lot thicker, think double bass neck), but the relief is perfect. I'm not sure how this will hold up over time, but I can always put a stiffener rod in the back and cap it.
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Depends on the thikness and the wideness of the neck Yamaha's have prety narrow and wide necks.
  12. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I like two truss rods. Not for stability particularly, but because it allows one to set different relief for the high-excursion low-pitch strings than for the others.
  13. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    One truss rod is fine if the neck is put together right and
    two won't help if it's not.

Just my .02 of view.
  14. My Dingwall, JP and F Bass 6 strings only had one truss rod each. I never had an issue getting the neck properly adjusted, as they came properly adjusted and never moved.
  15. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My Brawley 6 string has 2 truss rods. I'm not really sure how neccessary it is though.
  16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    noone has mentioned this yet but the quality of the truss rod can be a one of the reasons specially when 2 cheap trus rods do the same as a very expensive one.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    A high quality dual action trussrod is usually plenty sufficient if the neck is good and solid. That said, I would only apply that to B-C tunings. If you wanted a 6 with a low F#, you might consider adding a Trussrod. The extra tension from the much larger string may have a significant impact on the neck staying straight.
  18. I also like having two trussrods, so I can adjust relief differently for both sides. I dial in slightly more relief for a low B than I do for a high C.
  19. The larger strings typically have slightly lower tension with most standard string sets. Most data I've seen (like the D'Addario string tension chart), shows the D string as having the highest tension on a typical 45-65-85-105-130 setup.