1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 strings bass : one or two truss rod???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by renniw, Mar 12, 2008.

1. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I've been browsing and searching for opinions on the subject in this forum and others and I'm still scratching my head after 2 hours of reading....:help:

I'm planning to build a 6 strings bolt-on neck bass.

Wich is better :

1 - One truss rod with carbon fiber rods

2 - two truss rods

3 - anything else not listed above

By the way, the neck will be birdseye maple with lacewood fingeboard.

2. one truss rod with 2 cf rods imo is your best bet for strength and stiffnes, 2 truss rods is there mainly for more control over the neck

3. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    id say 1 truss rod no cf rods. the neck is gunna move if you put in 2 truss rods and a thousand cf rods and have 1000 laminates anyway so if you make it easy to adjust you'll probably be happyer.

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    on my 6-string necks, I use a pair of graphite stiffening bars (GRB4's from LMI) and a dual action trussrod from StewMac.

two trussrods in the neck only add weight and set-up complexity without any additional value other than marketing hype IMO ... I mean you did choose your wood carefully and orientate the grain properly right?

to those who swear by a dual trussrod neck - more power to you. in all of my single trussrod 6-string fretless necks to date I've never once needed a second trussrod. never.

all the best,

R

5. firebass6

firebass6

Feb 14, 2008
    I built mine with 2 trust rods and they adjust perfectly for over 10 years. I put One graphite bar up the middle on one of them. From the answers it looks like there is more than one way to do it. Ive noticed some of the current designs have the body attach to the neck further up I bet that helps with stability. As far as wieght make sure the bass ballances well. a heavy bass with great ballance to me is more compfortable than a light bass with lots of neck dive or one that I have to keep adjusting because its akward. I made the top horn longer on my heavier bass and that made it balance perfectly so it doesnt seem heavy to wear. Good luck and have fun building

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I haven't made any 6's yet, but on a hand full of 5 strings, I used 2 truss rods with a CF bar between them.

The necks rarely require any adjusting after 14 years.

7. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    No surprise, that'd make one hell of a stiff neck! It'd love to try one of those basses out.. how about a 6-stringer next time? :D

8. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Ironically when I started getting into building seriously it was because I wanted a six string. But I ended up make a 5, and stuck with that. :meh:

9. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Thanks for sharing your ideas and experiences.

I think I'll give a try to 1 truss rod and 2 CF bars.

Anyway, if something goes wrong, I guess I could make another neck... That's why I decided to do a bolt-on 6 strings...:D if the neck goes crap, make another...

10. thomas1220

thomas1220

Aug 18, 2011
    hi everybody. I have a Warwick six strings 24 fret bass guitar it is made in 80s. Is there anybody can tell me where can I get the truss rod for my guitar. I must be over twisted and then broke it, the other thing is even I pull out the rod from the neck as I can see the neck still crook very much,so should I put it in the water for several days and then try to make it straight again. Thanks everybody. Thomas

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You put the neck in water? Probably don't do that again.

If you posted a picture of the truss rod, and started a new thread rather than adding to a 3 year old one, you might get more answers. The only Warwick rods I have seen were aluminum and made by Warwick. If your rod is one of these, then you need to get a replacement from Warwick.