Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 strings for a lefty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Oct 7, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    So I was just wondering if any one can recommend a 6 string of pure excellence for my left handed self. I like the idea of a warwick thumb(is the thumb the top model from warwick?). I find rickenbackers a bit uncomfortable. If I want a good high end model am I going to have to go down the line of ken smith or other custom basses? Lets say a price range between $0-$3100

P.S. None of this turning things upside down rubbish I don't want to know about it....or learn how to play right handed it's waaaaaay to late for that.You wont be able to convince me otherwise.:p

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Your most economical bet for for a good lefty *production* instrument instrument will be Carvin. I believe they have an Irish distributor; they certainly have a British one.

But if you have $3100 to spend, you can afford to go custom. There's a great Irish luthier, Chris Larkin--he could probably do you something nice. Beyond that, given shipping and import duties on US instruments, I'd look at European makers first if I were you. I'm a big fan of many American custom luthiers, but a bass certainly doesn't have to be American to be good. Mine are English, as it happens.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Wow I never even knew chris existed. It's a bit strange having someone from new york telling me about an Irish luthier. Have you ever played any of his instruments?If you have what was your experience?

Human bass is a german custom maker has anyone had any experience with that particular brand?

Does anyone have a clue of other custom makers european or otherwise that would be worth considering or an idea of other production basses that would suit?

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I played one of Chris's electric upright basses once. It was very cool.

http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com

Haven't checked out his other stuff, though. However, the word of mouth I hear is very good.

This is the guy who made my basses, whom I recommend highly:

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

This guy has several happy customers on TB, and he's an occasional poster here:

http://www.jpbasses.com