6 strings: Too much, too little, or Just right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Croonboy, Jun 11, 2002.

6 stringers: Verdict?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2003.
  1. Too much... stick to 4, 5 at max

40 vote(s)
  2. 6 is great. Perfect. Wonderful.

62 vote(s)
  3. 6? why stop there?

20 vote(s)
  1. I recently Bought a John Myung Signature 6 string. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I love playing a sixer, but some people are a little overwhelmed, and I'm told often that if you can't do it with 4, don't bother. I wanna know what everyone's opinion is on 6 strings
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Everyone's opinion? Different;)
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    for me? too much? no
    too little? no
    just right? yes, for now...
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A sixer is perfect. Right now. Today.
  5. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Use what works for you best. Because in the end your playing it and if 6 strings makes you happy that all that matters
  6. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    People who base another person's bass playing skill and taste on the number of strings they have on their bass are morons, plain and simple. I've seen four string nazi's rant and rave about their hero only needing four strings until someone points out that they recorded half the songs on a 5 string or own a custom six or something like that. It's all ridiculous nonsense from people who have nothing better to worry about than proving their superiority at being able to get through a gig with two less strings than you.
  7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    for me.. not really too much.. but not enough money or desire to have one. maybe someday.. but my next basses will all be five strings.
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I think a 5 is perfect. Its your basic 4 with the low B. Stripped down, yet with just the right amount of extended range, IMO.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not enough for some, too much for me. I wouldn't know what to do with the skinny string.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

5 happens to be perfect for me, I'm stopping here. 6 strings would involve a wider neck or narrower string spacing, neither of which I want to deal with. 5 gives me everything I want from a bass: the 2-octave range at each hand position is plenty, I don't need to play any higher or lower, and I don't want any more strings to damp.

But that's just me. I would never presume to tell anyone else what should be right for them.
  11. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Funny, I'm used to people worrying about proving their superiority because they can get through a gig with one or two MORE strings than I.

12. ultimately i'd love to play 6. This nearly became a reality yesterday, but i managed to stop myself.

I would have done it if it wasn't for the fact that i was picking up my EA iAmp350 combo :)

But as of now i'm aiming to have a custom 6 string in the not to distant future!

a similar bass to this, but fretted is looking likely

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This seems to be a poll of playing styles. For me, a five string is perfect, a 4 is great, too. I have tried sixes and they're very nice, but for my style, useless. I hardly ever use the "G" string as it is, I can't imagine the utility of a higher string that that. - Once again, for my style of course. Others' will have different styles and couldn't do without the extra high string.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like the way 6ers feel. It's my hands, they feel most comfortable in my mitts. Can I use them? Heck no, I'm not that great on a 4 or 5, but I know that 6ers are what make Bass playign really comfortable to me.
  15. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I think for exploring the extended range of the six would be pretty cool. I've always wondered if your going to to get 5 why not get 6. But it seems like a luxury for something I would only use occasionaly.
  16. Right now 5s are enough for me. In fact 4s would do most of what I want to do, but 5s give me the flexibility to play more without moving my hand about!!!!

I do also occasionally use the extended bottom end in songs!!

A sixer would be nice, but my hands aren't that big and I don't know that I'd manage a six string - plus I wouldn't know what to do with the extra skinny string up top!
  17. I own a 6 and a 4, but play both. I use the 4 four slap, covers that use 4s, and a few songs we wrote before i got the 6. I like the 6 because i like going as low as an open B. I dont use the C string for much more than soloing, but i do use it. I wanted more range awhile ago and thought of getting a five, but i figured that i might as well get a six and have more range on both ends (higher and lower). Plus I like the feel of the wide neck.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just remember what Phil Lesh said when asked why he prefers a six string bass over a four or five string instrument: "More notes." :D
  19. 4 string is enough for me, but i got nothing but love for those that can handle a 6 string.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why does there have to be a preference?

I like playing my fours, fives and sixes. If I had a seven, I would probably play it too.