Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 Strings tuned like guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Oct 14, 2005.

1. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    Just wondering how many people on the board owned 6 strings tuned like a guitar? I've never been able to play one, but I've played on a fair few 5s and 6s with low B's and the B strings do nothing for me, so if I ever go beyond the mighty four I'd got for one tuned like a guitar. So, if you do have one, why did you go for it? IF you're considering geting a few extra strings, what are your thoughts?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Danelectro 6 string. It is nice in some situations, really good for soloing, but I don't play it much. Unless you have a specific use for one, or just have extra money and want something different to mess around with, I wouldn't get one. Extra strings just for the sake of having extra strings is kind of a waste.

3. I supose you could, just have 2 really high strings, altho i personally wouldnt use it, i hardly use a high C as is, let alone a high B then high E

Each to thier own tho, would probably need a setup, but could probably get an overall lower action without a big chunky B string

4. I created a piccolo 6 string bass from a bass I wasn't using and have tried it tuned with the 1st and 2nd string dropped a half step like guitar. BEADF#B Oh yeah the string guages are much smaller than normal, bottom 3 are wound, top 3 solid. It's OK tuned that way but I prefer to keep it tuned BEADGC. Great for doubling parts and for chordal and solo stuff, great with distortion, great for tapping. And actually I suppose more like baritone guitar tuning-wise.
    Dirk

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not me, I even have my guitar tuned BEADGC :p :D

6. Does't John Turner tune his 7's BEADGBE? Like a 7 string Guitar?

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah.

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jonas Hellborg in recent years has moved to six-string basses, all tuned EADGBE. Rob Green of Status has built him basses for this tuning, of which this one is the latest:

[​IMG]

9. He done took off his knobs. :eek:

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think Peter Hook has a six string like that.
    Personally, I wouldn't use this tuning, as I think it would feel too guitar-like. I like my guitar a lot but I like being all 4ths when I play bass as I feel it makes scales and runs easier.
    Cool, Jonas' bass looks just like my Energy, except mine is a fiver and doesn't have that many knob holes. :D

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The bass in the photo is essentially a wooden-necked Status Energy 6, but with custom pickup positions and the 36v electronics from the Jonas Hellborg signature model.