6 Strings tuned like guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Oct 14, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    Just wondering how many people on the board owned 6 strings tuned like a guitar? I've never been able to play one, but I've played on a fair few 5s and 6s with low B's and the B strings do nothing for me, so if I ever go beyond the mighty four I'd got for one tuned like a guitar. So, if you do have one, why did you go for it? IF you're considering geting a few extra strings, what are your thoughts?
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Danelectro 6 string. It is nice in some situations, really good for soloing, but I don't play it much. Unless you have a specific use for one, or just have extra money and want something different to mess around with, I wouldn't get one. Extra strings just for the sake of having extra strings is kind of a waste.
  3. I supose you could, just have 2 really high strings, altho i personally wouldnt use it, i hardly use a high C as is, let alone a high B then high E

Each to thier own tho, would probably need a setup, but could probably get an overall lower action without a big chunky B string
  4. I created a piccolo 6 string bass from a bass I wasn't using and have tried it tuned with the 1st and 2nd string dropped a half step like guitar. BEADF#B Oh yeah the string guages are much smaller than normal, bottom 3 are wound, top 3 solid. It's OK tuned that way but I prefer to keep it tuned BEADGC. Great for doubling parts and for chordal and solo stuff, great with distortion, great for tapping. And actually I suppose more like baritone guitar tuning-wise.
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not me, I even have my guitar tuned BEADGC :p :D
  6. Does't John Turner tune his 7's BEADGBE? Like a 7 string Guitar?
  7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jonas Hellborg in recent years has moved to six-string basses, all tuned EADGBE. Rob Green of Status has built him basses for this tuning, of which this one is the latest:

9. He done took off his knobs. :eek:
  10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I think Peter Hook has a six string like that.
    Personally, I wouldn't use this tuning, as I think it would feel too guitar-like. I like my guitar a lot but I like being all 4ths when I play bass as I feel it makes scales and runs easier.
    Cool, Jonas' bass looks just like my Energy, except mine is a fiver and doesn't have that many knob holes. :D
  11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The bass in the photo is essentially a wooden-necked Status Energy 6, but with custom pickup positions and the 36v electronics from the Jonas Hellborg signature model.