1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 strings -Warwick Streamer Stage1 or Yamaha TRBJP2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milo Duane, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    Hey guys, just new here... I'm from New Zealand, hard to get 6 string here.. Already have asked my dealer to ship both of these guitars here from overseas for me to try and decide which one i'd like... Formed a raw funk, jazz, rock fusion 3 piece band, so decided to have 6s to further help out our guitarist on our live gigs...haven't tried 6 strings before but really have dreamt to have one and now is the time....and really eager to master it...

I really do need some feedback about the two, both will arrive here this friday 21st april...

Thumb NT 6 was my 1st choice but they can't seem to have it shipped here, so the two are my only options.... please..... Just want to get most for my money... price is pretty close on both.... the yamaha's just a bit more...

I'll check everyday... Cheers!

2. Hey I'm from Australia. Why can't they ship the Thumb NT to NZ? I mean, if that's the bass and the sound you want... it's a lot of money you're spending for another bass that isn't your first choice.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Might have to do with how some stores can't sell out of their region...

4. NZ has a Warwick distributor though:

Auckland Rockshop
    100 Karangahape Road
    . Auckland
    Tel:00649/3798609
    Fax:00649/3775994
    paul@akrock.pl.net

5. I'm from NZ too. As far as not being able to get the thumb 6, they (the rock shop) are pretty reluctant to pay for a bass to be shipped to NZ just so you can try it out... If you agreed to buy it when it arrived and paid up front it would be a different story I'm sure! 6ers (along with fretlesses and non-mainstream brands) are not exactly high-turnover items here in NZ and your potential market in a country of 4 million is actually pretty limited. That and there are only 2 chains of stores - each with a selection of brands they carry and exclusive import deals with the manufacturers, so competition for sales within a brand is non-existant. The online retailers generally won't sell here because it breaks their deals with the manufacturers who specify that they can't sell to countries with exclusive import deals... So we get a raw deal on prices and selection...:eyebrow:

That said, I'd seriously look at the Ibanez BTB as well - I have seen a couple of 6 strings around (though not particularly recently) and have a friend who's very happy with his.

It may well be worth your while if you're gonna drop a few grand on a bass to look across the ditch - plenty of websites, and a flight across to Sydney or Melbourne is pretty cheap... You're likely to find a better selection I would imagine. Customs is an issue obviously, but I believe there may be some exemptions if the item is second hand?

Good luck in your search,
    Steve

6. The Warwick distributor this side of the ditch is <www.dominantmusic.com.au>. There is a list of Warwick dealers on their website.

But there are a few 2nd-hand Warwicks advertised on the Bass Centre website that might be worth checking out: <www.basscentre.com.au>.

And hey if you're coming to Melbourne, shoot me a PM, I know where all the shops are.

7. Damn I can't believe I forgot about eBay.

8. Hey..."Parkinson"s" happens...
    I've been looking there a lot to see what's out there; I'm shoppin' for a Warwick 5-string. Just can't decide on the pu configuration, yet...
    Good luck!;)

9. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    oh yeah... wow! I really appreciate you guys... I'll check them all out.. I guess I just lack some resourcefullness on my part.. hahha...

will do Wooten!
    haha

10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have experience with yamaha 6's (ie, 2 years as my mainstay for everything) and they are good. But don't take my word for it. Try them both out and see what you like better. The yamaha will more than likely have wider spacing than the warwick, but I could be wrong.

11. Down to preference - my Yamaha 6 has served me well on many gigs in various genres. I haven't yet played a Warwick bass I really liked.

12. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    hmmm... i better go out and search for some other 6 out here in auckland on wednesday... Ibanez btb actually caught my eye actually... I do need to try as many as I can, you're right realthing, i would definitely know my preference, soundwise and its feel... it's just about its reliabaility electronically that I'm concerned about.. because i don't know much really about it.. eheh

13. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I'd say the Wick hands down, but that may be a biased answer...:)

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Lets face it, the Warwick Streamer or Thumb would trounce Yamaha any day (unless it was an Attitude bass, then we might have a fight on our hands!)

15. That's fighting talk! :mad:

:D

It really is a preference thing - I happen to like the Yamaha's slightly more hi-fi sound, and I can easily dial in a more earthy tone if I want. And while Warwicks have killer B-strings, I prefer the tonal balance of the Yamaha.

The thing that definitely swings me in favour of the Yamaha is the ergonomics... the slim, wide neck, wide spacing, flat fingerboard and overall balance of the thing just suit my style better. I could never get along with the Warwick necks I have tried, they weren't bad necks, just didn't feel right to me.

And of course, there are many people who would take the Warwick design over the Yamaha any day, and they are absolutely right too. :)

16. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    Hey guys, I've already tried both last friday... phew! I got overwhelmed with the stage 1's neck, it was really difficult for me. I really like its grunt though, I could hear the crisp on its sound that makes me drool.. eheheh..Not to mention that my Amp head and cabinets are all warwicks so the late Fred Wilfer will be greatful! Respect man!!!

With the Yamaha, I found it easier for me to play than warwick at least, but but but... It isn't the sound I was looking for....

So am having decision problem now, If I'll get the warwick, I'm concerned that I might not get used to playing it, the fact that i have short fingers, But it really meets my expectation soundwise.... yamaha on the other hand simply not the sound I was looking for...

So I've decided to try the Ibanez BTB1206E Prestige, it sounds promising.... I haven't say no to Warwick yet at least until I try the Ibanez one....

Thank you all, and If you'd still have something to add, I very much appreciate it..

Wish me luck!!!

17. Dude get the Warwick, it's the sound you want, you'll get used to it with some practice.

18. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    that's a good point man!!! I'm just having cold feet that it would be physically impossible for me to get good at it fingerwise... eheheh... Cause I really felt ashamed when I tried to play it I can't even keep the other strings quiet... But again you're right.. But I haven't closed my door for it yet. I'll give it a week.. I'll come up of something... I'll let you know...

thanx Wooten!