1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 strings!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 14, 2001.

1. What's with C strings??? They can't even get the G right!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How so?:confused:

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just a guess but it might be the way C strings don't match tonally with the rest of the strings on some basses. I've seen this a lot on sixes, sound like a bass with a guitar string.

Then again, if he really meant G on a C string, that's a fretting issue;)

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I kind of know what he means. On some of the longer scale basses the G and C tend to get a little tight and "twangy", IMO, and apparently his. On some basses it seems to be a trade off between the B and the higher G or C.

Though on all the high end basses I have played this doesn't seem to be an issue. The Conklins have good high strings all the way up to the F. And the F bass and Dingwall 6 strings I have played had sweet C strings. I tried a few "cheap" 6 strings, and the C and B tended to sounded sterile and without any real definition. IMO, mind you.

I guess it is as variable as having a good B. Some like it and some don't.

Geoff

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I dunno, I played basses with C strings on it and I loved them! I rather have a C then a B I think. Thats just my opinion since I like to play very high note things. but thats just me:rolleyes: