6 tens and 2 fifteens, is this too much speaker power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, May 28, 2001.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm currently saving to purchase a new rig. I've decided on Genz Benz cabs and I keep having this image in my mind of 6 10s and 2 15s. Is this unrealistic? Would any amp be able to push this? The heads I'm considering are the Carvin Red Line amps. If I daisy chained a 2 10 and a 4 10 sending 500 watts to that, and then daisy chained 2 15 cabs and sent 500 watts to that, would my amp push that. The reason I don't want the 6 10 cab and then the 2 15 is because I could mix and match depending on the size of the gig. I know I'm beginning to ramble, so here's my real question. Should I get 4 10s and a 15 then add on to that or get 2 10s and a 15 first? Thanks for anyone who take the time to read this post and reply.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why spend so much on the cabinets and then go cheap on the amp? I don't know, if I were you, I'd maybe go with all 10s or a 4x10 and a 2x12. How big are these shows, anyway? Besides, you should go for a little higher quality amp, especially with such a big rig.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree. I have an 810 cab, and it has always been enough for me no matter what the size of the show (sometimes it IS a bit of overkill, too). I am currently considering going with a 4x10 and maybe a 1x15, or a 4x10 and a 2x10. Personally, I couldn't see myself ever NEEDING more than that.

As to the amp, why not look into a seperate preamp/poweramp setup?? You could get an Ampeg SVP Pro or an SWR Interstellar Overdrive, and something like a Mackie M-2600 power amp. With that kind of power you should have plenty of headroom with all those cabs, and a high end preamp is well worth the money, too, if you are going to invest that much in speakers.

4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    The Carvin Redline R1000 head is not a "cheap" head, despite its low cost. It's not the best on the market, but it is very good (I'm quite happy with mine). It is certainly capable of powering the array, as long as the impedance seen by each channel is 2 ohms or higher. If you buy reasonably efficient speakers, a full array like that would be fairly loud with the Carvin head.

I recommend a phased approach to building your rig: start with a basic 2x10 + 1x15, for example. If you find you need more bottom, add another 1x15. If you want more midrange punch, add the 4x10. Again, make sure the combined impedance is okay on each channel.

I am currently running my R1000 into a 4-ohm 2x10 on one side and a 4-ohm 2x15 on the other. It's pretty loud, but if you need more, you can buy more cabinets and another R1000 (the price is persuasive) and blow windows out if you run them bridged into 4 ohms each. Besides, with two R1000 heads, you have the flexibility of 4 output channels and two complete heads should one of them go down or be out for service! I agree with your "flexible" approach - if you play in situations where you sometimes need a small rig and sometimes need a big one, it's the best way to do it, IMO.

I think the other approaches mentioned above are valid, too. It depends on how much wattage you need and money you want to spend.

- Mike
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    To answer your question with my opinion, the amp/cab arrangement you suggest should work. However, I'd buy better cabinets and fewer of them to start. EA, Eden, EBS or even SWR will give you better sound and reliability than the Genz-Benz. Also, a lot of pros use, uhh, Hartke. (Don't hurt me, guys).

As a suggestion, why not start out with a 115 cab and a 210? Then add the 410 when you've got more coin. Then, your rig could be:

Just the 210 for small, coffee-house or private party gigs.

The 210 and the 115 for stuff a little bigger.

Then either six tens or four tens and a 15 for bigger stuff. I'd buy all 8-ohm cabs, unless the Carvin is rated to 2 ohms.

Six tens is really a lot of sound. Also , I think your choice of Carvin amplification is good. A lot of bang for the buck there.

I guess I could have just said I agree with MikeyD, eh? Never mind.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I use a 6x10 cab and a 1x15 and I LOVE IT. It has all of the power and punch I could ever want and then some. If for some reason I don't need both cabs, I can split 'em up and take whichever one is appropriate (though, that has never happened). It was said already: Make darn sure your amp can handle that kind of load. You wouldn't power your '69 Chev SS with a 2.5 liter 4-banger, right?
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you want 6 tens and 2 15's?

two SWR Goliath Jr 2x10's
    two SWR Triad's (1x10 1x15 + horn)

that's what i'd do...but i'm kinda biased. they're all smallish cabinets, are efficient, loud, sound good, and it'd be nice to have two identical stacks incase you wanted to try some stereo effects...

mmm...imagine that with an IOD and some massive poweramp....

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Wouldn't the Goliath Senior and Big Bertha be the best way to go?

Personally, for my next cab I'm probably just gonna get a SWR Big Bertha and leave it at that... 700 watts would be WAY more than I'll ever need.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You don't measure cabinets size in watts, so you know.
  10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm normally from the "you can never have too much" school, but good heavens -- where are you playing, the Enormodome?

I do you like your idea about modularity and flexibility though. If you really want to go that route, I'd suggest you go with either a pair of 2X10s or 4X10s and a pair of 1X15s. Frankly if you need more than that, run a direct line to the P.A.
  11. If you really want to go that route, you may want to consider buying Bag End speakers. They're small, loud, and sound great. You won't have to rent a moving van to haul your gear around.
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I wasn't. I was stating that if you're getting SWR stuff, it'd be more practical to get a 6x10 and a 2x15 rather than 4 seperate cabinets. It'd be way more expensive to get the seperate cabs.

And the wattage would be the same.
    I was stating what I intend on getting just on the side.
  13. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    After some long comtemplation and some heed to your expert talkbass advice I've made a decision. I'm going with 4 10s and an 18 instead of the 2 15s. Then later on, I may tack on the 2 10. The reason for the 4 10s first is I know a guy that has a 2 10 cab and when I get this setup I can borrow it and see if I like the sound. I'm going with Carvin speaker cabs and probably the R1000, because I'm poor, and they are a great bang for the buck. The only problem is I'll need an 8 ohm 2 10 cab, so that one with probably be a Genz Benz or a Peavey, when I finally afford it. So now I'm on the road to savings, and I heard this rumor that anyone who paid taxes is getting an extra 300 dollar check. So for now I'll keep scanning groceries and saving dough, until my rig is complete.

14. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have that set up, but they're Mesa-Boogies. I love them. I find that it provides the best sound that I'm looking for. They are too much for some situations, but you dont have to use both cabs all the time.
  15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Something was said not too long ago about making idiotic statements without giving any examples of why... I think the statement above this would be breaking that little rule.

Speaker's are speakers, they give your sound color.
    If you think 2x15 and 6x10 is too much, then that's you. You don't have to put many watts into all of them. And even if you do, I'm positive it will get you a different sound than a 1x15 and 3x10 (halving everything). Your post seemed kind of ignorant, Sorry.
  16. I go to a local venue quite often to see one of my favorite local bands. They are really good, an like to play loud. The bass player has a hartke 2-15 and a swr 6X10, all powered by an ampeg svt-4pro. The sound is amazing, with him playing a Stingray 5. He turns it up really loud and then the guitar player has a mesa boogie setup. I really like the tone he gets out of the set up. When he really pushes the head the tubes seem to distort the sound a little and it gets a little dirty. That is the sound I like.
  17. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Oh please pardon me! Speakers do in fact make a difference in the sound you get out. Yes, the amp you use obviously also makes a huge diffference.

I answered the guys's question as someone who actually has the set-up he was asking about. I've owned it for over a year now and have tried it in many settings with both or either one of the cabs on its own.
  18. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Brewer - first, I don't think CrawlingEye was directing his post at you; and second, that kind of language is uncalled for. You should edit it out or I'm sure a moderator would be happy to take care of it. Let's show a little respect here, guys.
    - Mike
  19. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    It appears that he was directing it towards me, but it would make more sense if he wan't because I my post was neither "idiotic" nor "ignorant" as he stated.

Either way I will edit the bad word out.
  20. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    brewer, where on earth did you get mesa. we have three stores in amarillo and all they carry is peavey, fender, ampeg, swr, and some other stuff between them. i've searched the internet up and down but with no luck. dirk, that would be one heck of rig man, i'd love that!!!