1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 things a musician learns from "That Thing You Do"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, May 30, 2018.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    it might sound pithy, but actually I pretty much agreed with all of this. Not that it took this movie to teach it. but some definite truths in here!

6 Things “That Thing You Do!” Taught Me About Being a Musician | STARTUP MUSICIAN

and actually I liked this movie. especially the part about the bass player never given a name - not even in the credits! ha! A lot of us sometimes do feel like the bass player is often the least recognized in a band.

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Not only as a start up, but if you want to get out and play you'll probably always have those crappy gigs that pay the bills. I sure do. I can manage the pain for 3 or 4 hours ... it gets better when the BL drops the Benjamins in my palm. The suggestion about gear is right on, too. I see guys showing up to a 30 seat bar/lounge hauling in double stacks, a giant pedal board, three or four guitars, and an arena size PA. Buy the best you can afford, and USE it until it doesn't do what you need it do for you. As for PA gear, buy what you need, keep it modular ... that small stuff comes in handy for those crappy little gigs but you can expand if you need to. If you're scheduled to play a show that requires a serious sound system, rent it. Rent the sound guy, too. If that happens more two or three times, THEN think about expanding your gear.

And if I'm playing in some shoddy bowling alley somewhere, I'm just as happy to remain anonymous ... ;)

3. Interesting read, especially for fans of the movie.

But in reality, it's six out of a couple of dozen lessons that, the sooner learned, the more enjoyable the experience.

JRA likes this.
  4. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I probably could add another 3-4 myself

7. Most lead singers are ego-driven douchebags who will kill the golden goose. Jimmy walked away from their album recording session because he only wanted to do his music. And by doing so, screwed the rest of them over. The money they might have made was left on the table. Only later does Jimmy come crawling back to Playtone to record material as part of a new group, The Heardsman. Typical LS behavior. 90% of them cannot be trusted. Keep your bands a full democracy and expect douchey-diva behavior from your LS unless you are really really lucky.

8. Fame is a fleeting thing - you can have the #1 single in the country and the next day you could be back at Patterson's Appliances, hawking avocado-colored washing machines to middle class women. #1 hit generally doesn't launch you very far. Keep it all in perspective. And watch your money.

9. Even if Del Patterson is having a drink in a local bar, and the cute MILF-waitress hits on you in a serious way -- go with the waitress. You're going to see Del again in the studio later that week, and now you know where he hangs out. but you left a cutie hanging and you probably haven't "had some" in months.

10. Don't buy your suits where Saul Siler, the head of Playtone, does. Nobody looks good in a bright pink shiny suit. Especially middle aged men.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    matty1039, pjbassist, Cheez and 5 others like this.
  5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    lol pink shiny suits.....

6. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    what in the bloody hell is this?...you wanna get Fabian away from me?

CKTEVeEUEAEgIa5.

12BitSlab likes this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    They had to do it that way. That MILF was Tom Hanks wife. LOL

I'm with Del Paxton. Never give up. If it gets to be too much like a job you hate take a break. Take as many as you need across your career whenever you need one and stay on break 'til that fire in your belly creeps back in again. Let it build 'til it explodes out of you and you want to do it "one more time"

For a true musician there really never is a "last gig". Not in this lifetime :D

pjbassist and nixdad like this.
  8. Nice thread. I reposted the article on my FB pages. Thank you for sharing

9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I always enjoy seeing this movie - it's one of my favorites.

For any fans of the movie, try to find the Director's Cut on DVD. It includes some cool deleted band scenes, and more backstory with Charlize Theron (for what it's worth.)

QORC and 12BitSlab like this.
  10. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    I respectfully disagree with this...

It's a priorities matter, I guess...

Some people feel the need to do their own thing rather than make money...

11. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    The Directors cut is an ever so much better movie.

I don't think I've met a musician that doesn't like this movie. It's a never fail watch for me when it comes on, and a large source of daily use quotes.

nixdad likes this.
  12. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I used to play with Wayne Jones. He did a bunch of arrangements for the movie and played keys in many places.

He joined our band when he was 14. His mom had to drive him to rehearsals and gigs. At age 14, his playing sounded like he was in his 40’s.

nixdad likes this.
  13. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I agree. I enjoyed the longer version too

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Yet another reason I'm glad so much of this crap is behind me now. I thought I had something, and I was never gonna give up, until it became abundantly clear that whatever it was I had nobody was interested in buying. After which I became a much happier person. Of course, it's never too late to screw yourself up, and I'm working with a guitarist to see if there's anything to be done with my, um, "back catalog" for lack of a better term. It's kind of like going through the kitchen and realizing everything in the spice rack is long past its sell-by date. But that's another story.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

15. Are you crazy? A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Gimme a pen, I’m signin’! You’re signin’! We’re all signin’!

matty1039, pjbassist, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  16. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Guys? Chad fell down....

nixdad likes this.

17. “You don’t talk to Moe Greene like that..”

wideload, nixdad and Bunk McNulty like this.
  18. 11. A hit record is like a stew. All the ingredients have to come together just right. Otherwise, it's just soup.

matty1039 and nixdad like this.
  19. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    I'm thirsty!!!

nixdad likes this.
  20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am Spartacus!