1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 things a musician learns from "That Thing You Do"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, May 30, 2018.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Chad?? who's Chad??

nixdad and matty1039 like this.
  2. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Every song is Wipeout to Chad.

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    "Hey, wasn't that our fan?"

4. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I use that one all the time. Also, I have a Wonders t-shirt that gets a lot of compliments.

Remember, sometimes you need to distance yourself from the band a bit.

"Oh, I'm not here with these fellas. I've got a pig in competition over at the livestock pavilion, and I am going to win that blue ribbon!"

nixdad likes this.
  5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    LOL. I know the movie too well!

nixdad likes this.
  6. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Beatles-esque. funny thG3YETH2H.

TheBear and nixdad like this.
  7. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    Interesting to think you could learn things from that movie, they all seem reasonable even if I never stopped to think of them before.

Love that movie btw!

nixdad likes this.
  8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    agreed. I enjoyed seeing the deleted scenes which give some context to other parts of the movie

nixdad likes this.
  9. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    This is my all-time favorite movie. Our BL is also a huge fan of this movie. We use quotes from the movie all the time. The one used most often is "Take us there, Skitch".

My wife rolls her eyes whenever she walks in the room and I'm watching this movie, which is often.

I saw the Director's cut version on cable once. The extra scenes definitely give better context to the rest of the movie.

40Hz, nixdad and WI Short Scaler like this.
  10. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    I'm gonna have to look for the director's cut now, all these references to it have me intrigued!

nixdad likes this.
  11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My favorite scene in the Director's Cut is when they arrive in the theater before everyone else (prior to meeting Tom Hanks,) and they're standing on the stage looking up at the empty seats in silence probably thinking "how did we get here?"

12. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013

My favourite scene.

And now Im gassin' for a '57 P

Steve Boisen, TheBear and nixdad like this.

13. Wolfman.....too scary

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t think he came crawling back though. He early on in the movie suggested “The Herdsmen” (obvious reference to The “Quarrymen”) as the band’s name.

Jimmy was “the talent” as Mr. White himself characterized him. Playtone doesn’t care about band loyalties or drama. They’re in the music business. And in the music business the only thing that matters to them are the people who can consistently write best selling songs. (And Jimmy did go on to do several more albums for Playtone with The Herdsmen.)

Everybody else (and I mean everybody else who is not a songwriter) is seen as either being just along for the ride - or a necessary (and ultimately replaceable) evil.

That’s the other lesson: Content is King!

I’m sure Mr. White chased Jimmy down shortly after his flounce and stroked his ego to keep him in the fold.

Notice he didn’t offer anything more than some free studio time to Guy - and tell him he was out of the hotel that afternoon? Sure Guy was “The Smart One” and a fine enough drummer. But so what? Playtone already knew plenty of smart musicians, and had a list of world class drummers they could call in a minute. Just like they quickly called in Scott Pell the Wolfman to replace TBP.

Mr. White and Playtone didn’t need Guy Patterson. But they weren’t about to let a songwriter who already had a smash hit and a binder full of original unrecorded songs get away that easy. Sure, Jimmy was a prima dona. But Playtone was a record company and probably very used to that type of person. So they already knew just how to deal with Jimmy, and turn it to their advantage.

One telling moment a lot of people miss is when Mr. White says: “You’re a good man Scott Pell! Call me later in the week. We’ll do something.”

Care to guess who likely ended up as bass player in Jimmy’s new band The Herdsmen?

Makes you almost “wonder” if the whole scene wasn’t engineered by Mr. White to cut Jimmy from the herd and ultimately get him in a band with more professional studio type musicians. People Playtone could rely on rather than the naive members in the Wonders. (Don’t laugh. Something similar went down with Janis Joplin when it became obvious her original band couldn’t cut it in the studio. Her label gave her a choice: Here’s your new band - or there’s the exit door.)

Bottom line? If you’re not the content creator you’re just another minor asset or a liability. Most recording deals I’ve seen only sign the creative talent like the songwriter(s) and lead vocalist if the band is built around him or her. They don’t sign the band itself. The bandmembers are signed to the member(s) in the band who actually do have a record contract - if they so choose to do so. Many times when “the band” signs a record deal, one or more (or the rest) of its original members will be given the boot.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  15. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    You're a good man, Scott Pell. Let's do lunch.

nixdad likes this.
  16. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The bass player looks a lot like Nick Pappageorgio from Yuma, Arizona....he's in software. Has a lot of nice cars too.

VRUuTNeZ_400x400.

17. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Ethan Embry.

Here he is watching GWAR, on "special" brownies.

MV5BNTkwOGI4YzUtNDI0Yy00OTA2LTliOTktNDM1NWY5ZGU1Zjk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgxOTIzNzk@._V1_.

Well spoken. Interestingly enough, the song That Thing You Do is an absolutely brilliantly written piece of melodic hook heaven. Best movie theme song in... jeez, over 20 years now? Looking at you, Disney. :rollno::spit::vomit:

chadhargis, 40Hz and nixdad like this.
  18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Larry Antonino, baby!

Steve Boisen likes this.
  19. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Here's two things that come from the movie, that were in two other movies:

The song All My Lonely Dreams, can be heard in the background at the reception at the end of My Big Fat Greek Wedding

(Dave) Gammelgard, the guy that Faye was last "good and kissed" by, is the last name of the banker character played by Tom Hanks' wife in Larry Crowne.