1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

60/70 Bassman Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DougBass, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Anyone have experience with a silverface Bassman running a 4X10 cabinet (the old fender)? I want to use it mostly for guitar, but also for a distorted amp along with my bass rig.

I can get the 2X15 cabinet too. I want a good guitar tone primarily. I have played guitar through the 15 and liked it.

Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Doug

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    An old Fender 4x10 cabinet? I don't recall ever seeing one in the '60s or '70s. There was the 2x12, the 1x15, the 2x15s (several iterations with that combination) and the 4x12 from the Bassman 100/135.

John

3. My local guitar center is selling one. It is a Bassman 135 4x10. It may be wrong but I double checked the listing

4. I don't recall one either. Sounds like a newer one to me.

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    All the old 410 Bassmans I remember were the combo's ... I think they went back to like '59, and the one in the silver face era would have been a Bassman 10? ... all combo's though

6. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    A Bassman 135 is going to have quite a bit of headroom before you get a good breakup. I have a mid-70's Bassman Ten that's only a 70 watt, and it gets pretty loud before there is any discernible overdrive (unless I use an attenuator). I also have a '68 Bassman, the first line of silver-face but with blackface circuitry and only 50-watts, that runs into a 2x15" cab of the same era (unfortunately without the JBL d140s and Eminence Legends instead) and that gets some great dirt.

7. It is an older one for sure. I am curious about the cabs. I have a Bassman 100 head.

8. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ah, I misread. I only have experience with the 4x10 in the 70's Bassman Ten combo. I like it, but it does lack some bottom end compared to my 2x15. If you replaced the speakers with something more modern you might make up for it. Although, the original speakers might work alright for you if your primarily focused on guitar tone.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    If it's the factory cabinet for a Bassman 135, it is certainly NOT a 4x10. It's a 4x12. It's a big cabinet, very deep front-to-back. The speakers are each mounted on a separate trapezoid shaped baffle, and they angle in towards each other. I was a Fender dealer from '77 - '88 and my opinion is that this design is terrible. Apart from sonic considerations, it was very poorly made. The baffles were sealed with a caulk that has a nasty tendency to get brittle and come apart, ruining whatever cabinet tuning they may have intended. But more importantly, the baffles weren't ruggedly attached and tend to come loose, and they were made of particle board. Add in that the cabinets were bulky and heavy, so they weren't treated carefully and you have a recipe for failure.

Take the grill off the cabinet and look at the inside of it. Check all the seams are tight and aligned. Play through it and listen to each speaker and put your ear close to the seams to listen for whistles.

But, I'd never invest in that cabinet myself.

John