60 Watts enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cptnCanada, May 21, 2002.

1. Hi all, this is an awesome board! I hope to be around here a lot in the future.

Anyways, I have been asked to play in a couple of small clubs this summer and am in need of a bigger amp than my practice amp I currently own. A friend has lined me up with an older 60 watt (HH electronics Bass BABY w/ 12" speaker) amplifier for practically free. Will this be enough to keep up with the rest of the band in a small club environment (rock - elec. guitar, non-miked drums, vocals, etc)or will something a bit biger be needed.

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rock? Whoo boy. The Credo of most gigging bassists is never leave the house without at LEAST 350 watts.

60 watts will ket killed by just the dummer, let alone everyone else. Hell, 150 watts will.
  3. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Actually I'd say 150 would be bare minimum. I used to play in a punk band and all I could afford was a Peavey TNT combo. 150 watts into a 15. I could barely keep up with the drummer and a guitarist using a solid state amp. If he used a tube amp I wouldn't be heard at all. On our second gig i turned it up as loud as it would go and clipped it... bye bye speaker. So I agree with Brendan's 350 watt suggestion.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, 60 watts is not enough. Start at 300 and go up.
  5. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    ME and my buddies used to jam with my 12 watt crate. I might as well have gone acoustic:D :rolleyes: It was pretty pointless. I got my new amp now so I have 300 SS watts into a single 15. I get MUCH more volume and MUCH more air moving. If T turn up a bit more than the guitarist, we can get a great balance. I'd recommend at least 250 watts to get started. I was in your situation a few short weeks ago. Buy as much as you can afford. Within reason of course. You won't regret it.

6. No, and the problem isn't simply the lack of power. A single 12" speaker isn't going to move enough air to fill a room with bass. Armed with a 60 watt amp and a 12" speaker, your best bet would be to DI or mic through the PA.
  7. Pabrika

May 20, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    As a general rule, try to have at LEAST 4 watts to every watt the guitar player has. After you guys are leveled out, the question then becomes are the two of you powerful enough to get above and beyond whatever else is going on in the mix.
  8. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Beside other factors, it depends very much wether the bass goes through the PA or not.
    If yes, then 60W could be enough if it's a very quiet band (more like jazz or acoustic stuff). For rock I would suggest at least 150W and 210 or 212 or 115 (that's what worked for me).
    If there is no PA support for bass, than I agree that you should have 300W+. But it also depends on the speakers you use. (I played 200W heads through a 215 for about 10 years, but I feel more comfortable now with a 400W and a 212)

Bottom line: Get the biggest amp you can afford and you are willing to lug around...

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well i have a 15 and it runs at 200 watts
    and i have a 410 that runs at 120 watts
    which sould i use for RHCP, and some RATM?

thanks steve
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You fellas are really in need for some hearing protection!
    300W/15" in a small club? Pfui....
    I never turned my 125W/12" combo higher than 25%, even in 500 people+ venues. Even when overcrowded.
    Then again, I never played to make anybody deaf...

However, my very loud little TE Boxer, 15W/8", can't cope with anything bigger than 15x10x3 metres, half empty....

So, will 60W be enough? Who knows?
    Depends on the venue, the set and speakers.
    But, if you think you may go for bigger venues within reasonable time, I suggest the following:
    1 Good earplugs
    2 300-500 W amp
    3 2x10" speaker cab, perhaps also a 15" or 18"
    4 Good spare earplugs
  11. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Suburban, it's not only about volume, it's also about tone!

If you want to fill a room with bass and not only with 'twang' you need power (or a PA).

I play rehearsals with a rock band with a 100W/112 setup. I can go as loud as I need easily, but the sound lacks bottom.

12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Matthias is right on that. You could gig with an 100 watt amp but you'd have to suffer with a sound that has very little low-end. Get the best rig you can afford and if you're not in an immediate position where you need something fast, save for awhile until you can get what you want.
  13. Ok, I guess I'll pass on the 60 watt amp. Another option I have is to run through the PA, which I believe is 800 watts. I believe this will be loud enough, but I am a bit concerned that the bass will colour the vocals as they would both be playing out of the same speakers. Is my theory correct, or will this setup be OK? Also, would I need a seperate preamp, or could I plug the guitar straight into the PA?

Thanks for the help!

14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Dude just go for 400+ watts. You will appreciate it when you want loud CLEAN sound. plug that thru a good cab(s) and you will be set.
  15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    get a P.O.D. and then you can plug into the pa.
    it really won't color the sound

16. Never show up for a gig underpowered. You may not need more than 30 watts but it's just not ''American'' for a bassist to have less than 350 watts in his/her pocket. I know you are from Canada but you know what I mean. Play just one gig under powered and you will understand. 300- 350 watts would be the least I would show up with. By the way I wish the American side of the waterfall was as nice as the Canadian side.
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Welcome to TB......

As everybody said...... you need at least 150 watts just to kill the drums and be heard (but not too much).

18. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    running the bass through the PA won't color the vocals, you don't even need a POD, a DI-box is enough (usually provided by the house)
    you need something to hear yourself on stage. with smaller pa's it's usually a problem to have the bass in the monitors so loud that it's enough for you. so an amp which can keep up with the drums and the rest of the band usually is a must.
    if the 60W amp is sufficient for rehearsals, than it should be enough on stage too, if you keep stage volume down (and if you run through the pa of cause)

19. Go with a 300-400watt's you might not need it now but you might later on down the road.