60 years since liberation...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jan 27, 2005.

1. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So yeah... 60 years since liberation of Auschwitz...

Just want to pay respect for all those who got murdered and survived the camps.

Also, thanks to the soldiers...

I am sorry for such subject, I know its not cheery but I somewhat wanted to do it.

One of classes I am TAing this quarter has survivor (good friend of my teacher) come in and talk... great man, he was on CNN today if anyone was watching (Max Garcia)...

Peace to all.
  2. I have no idea what all this means...

But +1 to Peace to all my friend.
  3. I met a survivor back in grammer school. The stories are some of the most horrific I've ever seen. More powerful then any film...
  4. Whenever you think you've had a rough day, remember there are people who endured years of more horror than you can imagine.

Hope nothing like that ever happens again.
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you haven't read "Night" by Elie Wiesel, then you should. I never thought I could feel so overwhelmed by a book.

May those who did not make it, find peace. May those who did survive, find joy in their later years.
  6. I visited Auschwitz last summer. While I won´t pretend I can even remotely understand the suffering people went through, I must say it was a deeply touching experience. The sheer scale of the Auschwitz II (Birkenau) is staggering.
  7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I recommend listening to Different Trains by Steve Reich.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    in times like these...
  9. My grandfather was with General Patch and the 7th army when they were given the task of relieving Patton from his holding position so he could move deeper into Germany. They were handed control of Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen. It was their job to catalog the entire atrocity, care for the victims, get names/photos/interviews, and take care of the prisoners.

I can't imagine the hell that Grandpa went through.:scowl:

He only talked about it once after the war, and that was to my Grandma. She said he told stories of his fellow soldiers so overcome by the greif of the situation that they commited suicide, or the story of one soldier who found RELATIVES in the camp, went beserk, and killed 30 some Nazis who were being held prisoner. Or, and most disturbing of all, the total lack of emotional outbursts by the victims. They had been crushed down SO HARD that they couldn't actually cry. I can't imagine what kind of mind it takes to do that to someone.

To those who gave their lives fighting for the freedom and honor of Europe, and I thank you. And to the families of those who lost their lives, you can be proud in the fact that they died for a cause. Not just any cause, but the ultimate cause, human freedom and dignity.

Rock on
  10. Amen to that brother
  11. About a year ago I took a field trip in school to the Holocaust museum here in town - many Jewish families fled here after WWII and they started it themselves.

One of the most sobering experiences I've ever had. I pray we never face something like this ever again.
  12. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I live next door to a veteran of the d-day landing at Normandy. We cannot shower these men, some who gave all, with enough thanks and admiration, they truly were the greatest generation.

I've had the chance to talk to him about the landing, horrifying. And he has no interest in watching films like Saving Private Ryan, he was there and doesn't want to relive it.

I became interested after watching the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers, I'd recommended it.

I'd also recommend books on the subject by Stephen Ambrose, and a book by Robert Lifton called The Nazi Doctors.

May we never forget.