Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$600-$1000 AMP CHOICE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Purs, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Purs

Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    Texas
    I've been reading alot of posts and I know it's a matter of choice but here is my current situation. I have $600-$1000 bucks to drop on a rig. SWR was big when I used to play, but now it sounds as if Aguilar and Eden are pretty cool. I play mostly country (don't laugh) and classic rock. The tone I like is deep and warm with alot of tight thump. I realize this is a matter of opinion and that I could make many good choices. I just don't want to make a bad one. Also, how do you guys feel about buying used? Thanks in advance for the input.:D :confused:

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Are you looking fo a combo or head and cab or seperates? Does that grand include the cab or is it just for the head?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's nothing wrong with used, provided you make sure everything's in good working order.

SWR is still good for that price range. So are a lot of other brands. Do you have a car? Why not take your bass around to several stores and plug it to different rigs?

There's a big difference, BTW, between $600 and $1,000 for an amp.

Some brands you may consider are

SWR
    Gallien Krueger (GK)
    Peavey
    Ampeg

I don't think you'll find too much in the way of Eden or Aguilar for even $1,000, unless you get really lucky or find a used, smaller combo (which Aguilar doesn't make).

4. Buying used is the only way to go IMO. Amps don't vary in sound the same way that basses do. If you had two eden wt300's they would sound the same, if you have two american fender jazzes (with the same woods) they will sound totally different.

You can get an eden head for WAY under a grand. I grabbed a wt300 for 500 bucks. There are better deals out there too. You could get an eden head and a 210xlt for under a grand. If you got lucky you could get a head and a 410xlt for under a grand.

5. Purs

Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    Texas
    Thank you for the replies thus far. The grand would have to include both head and cab. Unless I can get a 4x10 cab on this budget, I'd like to get a good 2x10 and add to it later.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The previous suggestions are all good, but in that price range, I would consider a used Carvin Redline (R600 or ideally R1000) and a used Eden D410XLT.

If you find those used for a good price, buy them. And thank me later.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Great jazz/coffeehouse amp, but in your experience would it cut a classic rock/country gig?

8. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Deep,warm tone???
    Tight thump???

IT MUST BE THE AMPEG B100 R

And you can get one for $450-$500.
    Try it!!!!!!!

N.A.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I second the Ampeg recommendation. And don't be embarrassed if you are playing country music.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Ampeg B100 is a great sounding amp, but I think you'll find yourself limiting out rather quickly in even a moderately loud rock gig. In that price range, the suggestions for Eden heads and 2X10 cabs make a lot of sense, as does Richard's suggestion of a Carvin head and a quality cab. I have a Carvin RC210 combo and recently replaced the speakers with Eminence Kappas. I'm sure that everyone's sick of hearing me say this lately, but this is a great rig now... and well within your budget.

-robert