Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$600-$1000 budget, need gigging gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockness, Dec 19, 2005.

1. rockness

rockness

Jul 30, 2003
    Stratford, CT
    K, here's the situation, I've recently joined a "alternative rock" band that plays pretty heavy. So far I've been bumming off of the lead guitarists' bass amp/head for "garage band" practice, but I need to get my own gear.

Most of the venues we'll be playing at will have a couple hundred people, so I don't know how big/powerful of a setup to get. I've read the stickies, but that just confused me even further because I see so many options when searching on Ebay and the like. Especially when it comes to mixing different brand heads and cabs, will they work ok? Any advice will be appreciated seeing as my only experience is with a 35W combo amp for practice, thanks.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Will you have PA support? If you do you can get away with less gear than without since the PA will do a lot of the work for you.

What have you being using for garage practice? Was it adequate volume/tone wise? This rig you have been using could be a nice way of having a reference to gauge your new gear off.

If your playing without PA support and you have a few hundered people to send that bass out. It might be worth looking at a pre amp + power amp options

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    With that budget I'd say get a preamp/power amp setup. I'd recommend a BBE BMAX with a Carvin DCM1000 or QSC RMX1850 power amp. And get a 410 cab, I'd say GK, Avatar, Aguilar S-series. That'll cover most of the basses.

take care...

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My favorite suggestion on a budget would be-

Ashdown MAG 300 deal, 2 Avatar 2x12 Delta cabs. That would be a pretty sick full stack.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA