1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

600 bass, best quality control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumpslap, Aug 14, 2012.

1. thumpslap

thumpslap

Jun 6, 2012
    What company has the most consistant product. Not so much the best, just the most consistant. I here a lot about having to find a "good one" within a brand and type of bass.

So, a bass you can order site unseen, and be pretty cofedent about what youll get around 600 bucks ish.

2. Mass production only? I ask because I'd assume most boutique basses, being handmade, would have high standards for QC.

As far as mass production, I rarely see a poorly made Epiphone; they're surprisingly good most of the time. Some of them may need a setup, but it's usually just a minor change. I'd figure Ibanez has pretty good QC and I'd say the same for Musicman.

Honestly, nowadays most mass-produced instruments are pretty consistent IMO. The only factor that makes one seem terrible (at least IME at GC, etc) is the setup. I tried one of the new Fender Jaguars, and it played horribly until I messed with the action a bit.

3. thumpslap

thumpslap

Jun 6, 2012
    http://www.noahjames.com/C-D/JIM.HTM
    I just read the resume of the qc guy at Ibanez, they dont build guitars, they put there name on guitars, kinda week, maybe this is what everbody does?

4. Robdrone

Robdrone

Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    I've bought three Schecter guitars and basses sight unseen off the internet and aside from a little set up all were well worth what I paid IMO. Granted these were all $600+ instruments, but I think all of them are nice looking playing sounding instruments at their price points.

5. thumpslap

thumpslap

Jun 6, 2012
    Nice i like those. Do they hold up well. They all look amazing.

6. Sterling by Musicman with that price range

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Wheat do you mean "hold up well"?

With proper care and maintenance, a $75 starter lot bass will last a long, long time.

And yes, most companies who produce overseas are getting there stuff built by a handful of factories. Cort is actually the largest producer, IIRC. They build stuff for Schecter, Ibanez, and a bunch of others, and stuff they stick their own brand on is pretty good.

Schecter, Ibanez, Cort, Fender... Basically everyone has great instruments in the $600+ range, but what kind of features are you looking for? Every brand will have a dud in a batch of mass produced instruments. That said, for less than $1000 new, I've never played a Schecter that was bad, and a lot of them were found at Guitar Center, notorious for neglected, not setup instruments.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    For the $600 price range, I would say Schecter Stilleto Custom 6 :)

9. thumpslap

thumpslap

Jun 6, 2012
    @ emty cell my btb is solid, but the knobs are losing there tention. Strap botons need fastening now and then ect, hold up well.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's piddly stuff that's going to happen to any instrument over time, including multi-thousand dollar boutiques.