1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$600 Squier Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer83192, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
  2. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    There is someone selling an 86 for 400 in RI.

I think people are out of their minds sometimes. (<----sprinkle with curse words for full effect)

3. highflyingnote

highflyingnote

Apr 4, 2010
    I played a really nice 2010 natural Squire Jazz the other day, it was for sale for $299. Perhaps they are asking $500 'cause it's an '85. Just save a few more bucks and buy a Fender Jazz.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Its a Squier Japan bass, for all intents and purposes its a Fender MIJ except the logo on the headstock.

Its probably worth that, I dunno about in the states, but im almost considering it as they ship overseas :D

5. The older 80s Squiers are great basses, and are regarded (at least on here) as on par if not above most MIM fenders and even some MIA fenders of the time period.

$500 may be a bit ambitious, but $450 for one of those and you have a solid bass that far exceeds Squiers modern reputation

6. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes Squier Japan is a MIA killer. They began with JV serial numbers followed by SQ then to the "E" SN in the late 80s. Look them up. I just sold a mint MIA P from '03 and kept both my '83 "SQ" Squier P's they slay. Now granted a E SN is prob worth 300ish and SQs are maybe 500-600 but JVs are usually in the 1000.00 range

Info on JVs a lil on SQ

http://www.21frets.com/

7. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    I played a really nice Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and I bought it imediatly. :bassist:

8. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    IMO ... $569.05 isn't a that good a deal; even with it being an '85 MIJ ('80's MIJ Fender and even many Squire basses were being built better than most MIA made Fenders at the time).
    Granted it's still about 2-bills lighter than a Fender MIJ of that same series ... however nowadays, it's about $75-ish higher than I'd pay (even with the "free shipping")

9. This will be built much better, and when people play your squier and can feel the superiority to their fender they'll crap themselves.

10. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
  11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sure, but that has a couple days (with 11 bidders "so far") left on the auction. It won't close for $560. The last two closed at $849 (on a "Buy It Now") and at $999 (Best Offer), so there's VERY little chance that the SB-2 will be under $800 when all is said and done....probably well over $900 in fact.

It always mystifies me why people would try to use an "in progress" auction for price comparisons. Use the "Completed Auctions"...that way at least it gives a realistic value.

12. IMO...no. Even at it's present price. People here rant & rave about MIJ Fenders; I've owned several, both guitars & basses, & have never been impressed...more like disappointed. At 600, you can be looking at MIA Fenders, which (IMO) are superior in quality & sound, and offer better resale value, should you decide to re-sell, down the road.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree with Irishpride28 here. Maybe the ones you got just were not your thing but i just bought a 83 SQ MIJ Squier and from tone,fit,finish it is even and IMO beats any 70's to current MIA fender P bass i have owned or played. I had heard of these basses and until i held one and played one I never knew they were this good. I am gassing for another SQ but really want an JV. The E series like the one the OP shows is to high price wise. That's high end for SQs.If mine didn't say Squier on the headstock i would never know it wasn't MIA...never.

14. hehe i was half asleep when i looked at the auction and thought it was a BIN :ninja::bag: (i only looked cos' it was linked on the OP auction).

15. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    I know a guy who's been playing Fenders since 1951 and has probably owned hundreds of them. He's in love with the Jaguar and owns about 17 of them (1 MIJ, 1 newer American one, and the rest pre-CBS). He's been selling off his collection at shows and was down to just 17 last time I talked to him.

He's probably owned most types of fender basses throughout the years. I know he owned a Original P-bass way back when. He could have kept any Fender bass he wanted over the years to play. And, when he plays bass, he plays a mid-80 MIJ Squier P-Bass. That's right, a guy who's been playing Fenders from the start and will rarely touch anything past 69 or so rocks a Squier.

Mid 80s Squier Basses are pretty good. Everybody knows this. In 15 years you'll be wishing you bought that $500 Squier.

16. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    Just see what it actually goes for. That's a buy it now price. I wouldn't be paying that much for one.........

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    + 1000 :D

18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas