Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusmannx, Jul 16, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i need somethinig good without all the frills. i've been playing for a couple years on a piece of crap, and i can't afford anything extrememly expensive. i don't play anything off the wall so anything middle-of-the-road would be good..... any suggestions?

2. If you need a new bass, check out MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz, or maybe see about a P-bass Lyte or Lyte Deluxe. You could also probably find a MIA P for that price. If you're willing to go used, you can get a much better bass for the money. I've seen some pretty nice Warwick 4s go for a lot less than than $1000 on Ebay, and I got a Streamer Standard 5 for $605.

3. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I' gonna second the MIM Deluxe Jazz. I had a squire for a while then I upgraded to this bass and I love it. Its a great bass and its pretty cheap as well, I got mine for $400.

4. I strongly recommend picking up an Ibanez BTB405. For $600, it's tough to beat.

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A DP custom five goes for aroung $600. But you might want to check out MTD or Fender like everyone said.

6. See if you can get a gently used Reverend Rumblefish. I just put roundwounds back on mine and rediscovered what a snarling beast it is. Best neck I've ever played, too.

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'll second the BTB. I played it at guitar center and got hooked. I'm saving for the 5 string now.
    I think it runs for about $519.

8. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't seen them talked about anywhere here, but I use a Washburn that I got new for about 500. I Love it! The neck is smooth, the tone is nice, and I like versatility of the active soapbars. Plus its nice and heavy (not all people would like that but i do) Its got pretty good sustain too. The model I have (XB200 i think) was discontinued but i think it was replaced w/ something.

josh

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Rumblefish is a very unique bass and I would highly recommend the try before you buy policy. I say that because most of the best deals are by "yuck" mail order, and web auctions etc. Always make sure you have a return policy for any hands off buying. It would be better to pay return shipping than be stuck with a bass you don't like! Some of the better deals on used basses are Carvin and Yamaha. The resale price on these is really not up to what it should be so you can get a better bass for less money than many others. Carvin craftsmanship is outstanding and you can often find a used one for less than 400 bucks. You can usually find a Yamaha TRB for 500 or less. A really sweet bass IMO. Sam Ash has them for around that price new! (I really don't like surrendering to the mail order monster, but you can't beat the prices). As you can already see from this thread, lot's of choices, and just as many opinions. Bottom line--you should be able to find a decent bass for that price--Try out as many basses as you can before you buy one. Don't be in a hurry to buy. :D

10. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Go for the MTD, Fender Jazz Geddy Lee model, or anything used.. G&Ls should be about that price used... anymore and they are trying to rip you off.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like the suggestion on used Carvins. They sound decent, and they are VERY comfortable to play(look for one with rounded body edges). Used ones can often be had for reasonable prices on ebay and such. The construction and finish on them is excellent, and they balance well.

I don't know if most would agree with me, but I think Carvin makes one of the best necks in the business. They include a nice ebony fingerboard as standard equipment on their basses, I wish more companies did that. Try for a neck with an oiled finish on the back, they are VERY slick and fast. The painted necks are ok too, but I'll take a satin/oiled neck over a painted one any day.

The MTD suggestion sounds good too, a new Kingston 5 can be had for about $420-450 leaving you some extra dough. Treat yourself to a nice new strap and some of your favorite strings, etc. ;)

I like the Geddy Lee models too. Only downside there is it will definitely run you the full $600 or so.

Good luck, let us know what you get. :)

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I sell basses part-time in a pretty upscale, high-end shop. I get to play LOTS of incredible basses, every day I'm there. I'm a lucky guy. :D

Of all the basses I've seen for under a grand, this one, which you can get for $600 or less, is easily the best, heck it is as good or better than many I've played for well over $2K:

http://64.39.29.218/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21950

With a bit of upgrading, some new pickups, electronics, and possibly a more stout bridge, you'd have a screamin' bad@$$ bass for well under a grand. Heck, it's killer as it is right out of the box...

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Oh hey, I just noticed the lyric at the end of your post Gard.

Presto!

:D

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...that's cuz I do "radiate more heat than light". ;)

Nice catch, seamus! :D

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

"If I could wave my magic wand...";)

rusmannx, welcome to Talkbass!:)

A lot of good basses have been mentioned here.

My favorites among the ones mentioned are the MIM Deluxe Fender Jazz, the Ibanez BTB400, the MTD Kingston(or Heir) and the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee.

Good luck!

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    "Don't ask me
    I'm just improvising
    My illusion of careless flight..." :D

Embellisher's suggestions are excellent, for 4's. If you want a 5, get the MTD, there's no comparison.

I had a MIM Fender Deluxe J 5, and the B was AWFUL :p. The 4's I played were excellent basses though. The Ibanez is ok, but it's not on a par with the K5. Of course the Geddy is only available in a 4, so there's no comparison of B strings there.

17. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    thanks for all the help guys.. i really appreciate it. i am actually looking to go with the 5-string, and the basses that you've showed me appear very nice, so i'll get my hands on one. i think i'll be switching my stings over on these cause i'm a south-paw and most companies don't make the left model, or they do and they are really ugly.
    thanks again
    -russ-

18. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a K5 and recommend it as well as the 4.I tried out a 4 with Maple board the other day and it was sweet.FYI Musician's Friend is now starting to carry the Kingstons.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Russ, do yourself a favor and call Bass Central. I know that I'm going to sound a bit prejudiced because I do work there, but hear me out. We have at least 12 lefty basses in stock and on the wall. Stingrays, Warwicks, Czech Spectors, and Laklands we have in left handed 5's. Also, we can order from several other manufacturers and get them quickly, we just sold a lefty Conklin GT-7 on Monday that was ordered on Thursday of last week. The number is 800-545-8813, and anyone you talk to will be able to help you out, if you want to talk to me directly (not that it matters), I'll be there tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday. I'm not sure what we can find in a 5 in your price range, but I'm sure there's something, I can't remember if the MTD Kingston's are available lefty or not, but a quick and free phone call will let you know.

20. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    if i had $600...
    -i bought my brand new MIA P-Bass for $500. (with case and goodies) (you can find them i the catalogs for about $875)
    -You may be able to find a used Musicman under $600 (probably not)
    -You could get a MIM jazz (fretted or freless) with bartolinis in it for about $475-$500 fretted or $525-575 fretless. (damm, that is more than my p-bass)
    -i wouldn't recomend the MIJ fenders, i don't think they even sound as good as the MIM. The MIAs and MIMs are the best values. (but that's just me :) )
    -i know someone who got an 80s alembic epic for $300.
    -there are also a lot of other basses and that excludes ibanez (i've ran into one okay ibanez in my lifetime.)