Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60Hz DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Apr 4, 2003.

1. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    My rig has been nearly silent since the day I got it. I have never had a noise problem at all. My bass electronics are quiet and my amp is silent.

Well today I got my new (new to me) preamp and hooked it all up, and then it starts...that damn 60Hz.

So I dismantle my rig and try all kinds of configurations, different outlets/locations, etc, and now I'm down to nothing but my Carvin power amp and my cabs, and I still got that damn 60Hz!

I tried ground lifting, bridged, stereo, parallel, whatever. I even went through my house and started turning stuff off to see if it would go away...it didn't! It just won't go away. What would cause this to happen?? I have NEVER had this problem before! :bawl:

I turned on my crappy Ibanez practice amp and it has no noise at all. :(

Any ideas???? Is it my power amp? It's still under warranty BTW. What else should I try to pinpoint the problem???

Thanks for any help you give me.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, what are you talking about? 60 cycle hum? or, just alot of noise around that freq?

3. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm pretty sure it's 60hz. My tuner picks it up between a low B and C.

4. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Ok it turns out it IS my newly obtained preamp. I cracked it open and can hear the buzzing, and I pinpointed it the best I could using a cardboard tube. I circled the region where I hear it the loudest on the attached picture.

Anyone have any idea?? Is it as simple as replacing a component? I have mad soldering skills so I have no problem swapping parts.

Anyone? :(

5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    is this a physical buzzing noise (two surfaces touching each other) or an electrical one coming out of the speakers?

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Have you tried replacing that fuse you circled? Sounds kinda dumb, but sometimes the simple stuff works...:)

7. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    It's a physical buzzing. I have the preamp open and plugged into nothing but the wall. It does seem kinda goofy that a fuse would buzz like that, but I'll give it a shot.

8. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Bah, changing the fuse didn't work.

All hooked up this preamp sounds awesome, but it's just that buzzing from inside of the pre, and the 60Hz coming from the speakers. The noise isn't THAT bad as long as I'm playing, but it just bothers me :meh:

An interesting note: I plugged the pre into my computer's UPS, then unplugged the UPS from the wall (so the battery would kick on), and the buzzing got really horrible. What's that mean? :confused:

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Maybe you have a bad filter cap.