Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's & 70's Jazz BAsses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 19, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    WAs their any certain reason why Fender put MoP block inlays in their basses during this period? And anyone with pics of these basses id love to seem them. Also ive noticed on some of the head stocks of the older basses the words ran along the whold headstock? Was this a CBS thing or what?

2. seedeeare

seedeeare

Mar 19, 2006
    I've seen vintage fenders with Dot inlays, as well as Blocks...

I particularly don't know why, but i find block inlays extremely ugly on a Bass... The words all over the headstock, though, were always there on fender Basses and guitars until the 90's i think...

i don't mind them, but i don't think it's a CBS thing

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The blocks and binding were done to compete with Gibson in the late 60's. Different logos have been used, depending upon the era, there are been 3 or 4 of them, with slightly different layouts.

4. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I've read that 1966 was a transition year for Fender as far as switching from the dots to the blocks on the Jazz basses.
    Early 66 had dots where as my december made 66 has blocks.
    Why they did it may have been a marketing move to "doll up" the up scale Jazz bass.I'm sure it was more expensive to build the neck with blocks than dots.