Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's ampeg flip top

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darthspada, Feb 12, 2001.

1. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I've been playing through a borrowed 60's era Ampeg, and I'm considering purchasing it. I've done a bit of searching around for info on vintage Ampegs, and I found a few sites, but I can't find my model. It's a flip top head over a 2X15 cab. The sound is thunderous. Unfortunately, I haven't looked for a model or serial number on it. The owner plays guitar in my band and the amp stays at his place. When I'm there, I'm too occupied with playing to pay any attention to the details of the amp. Anybody know a site with good pics of old Ampeg's? Also, what should I expect to pay for this amp? I've been given a starting offer for purchase at $400. I'm pretty sure that I'll be ripping the poor guy off, but that's what he paid for it, so he's willing to sell for no profit. Any suggestions?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm only familiar with the B-15 Portaflex, not any w/2-15"s.
    I know decent 60's B-15's are going for around $800 and up.

Did you check the Unofficial Ampeg Page and it's links? That's where I'd start to hook up with a vintage Ampeg expert, especially the links, like Ampage.

If that is a vintage Ampeg cab in good condition, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat, especially if your friend is advertising it's for sale. Get out the Motown!

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-12-2001 at 02:36 PM]

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There was a B-15 variation with 2-15". It was not very common but I've seen one or two.

Considering the way vintage stuff is valued, it's probably worth LESS than a regular B-15!!! $400 is fair.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

brianrost- You mean because it's not "standard for the breed?"

I know what you mean, a lot of times freaks aren't worth as much than a seemingly lesser but more popular model when the design/configuration proved to be a bust. But sometimes, more.

I saw that Ampeg with one of the 15"s that faces backwards went for a very low price becuase it isn't a collectible. But, IMO, if the man can get a good sounding Ampeg, i.e., "thunderous" for $400, I'd be on it like white on rice, collectible or not.

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    If you dont buy the damned thing i will for gods sake!I bet it is a old b-15 portaflex!But it you will never get a better sounding amp!Just make sure you open it up first and see if they are original speakers!They should either say ampeg or they will be blank!Iam not sure if i would have enough trust in it to gig alot with because if it breaks you might be screwd untill you order a part!But i would love to have one just to record with!

6. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    the b-15 isn't extremely loud. they're 100 watts tube, right? but with tube watts they get loud enough. I think they are the best sounding amps around. I wish i could buy it. :( . I seen the reissues for $1000+. They're pretty famous amps.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey vic ive seen them go for around 500-600 on ebay if you dont mind having a little risk on it! I mean not seeing it first! But yes id love to have that baby!

8. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Gee, thanx everyone for the responses. I took a closer look at it tonight. The back of the head says that the model is "B-T." And don't get your hopes up, Mr. Atkinson, I WILL buy it. The current owner will let me put gig earnings toward it. As far as using it for gigging, I do have some apprehensions. Our booking agent is getting us a lot of outdoor shows for spring/summer and I don't want to risk any weather damage. Fortunately, as a bassist I can run directly through the soundboard if neccessary, or I can mike my practice amp and run it through the board. And Mr Rickbass... I had already checked the sites you mentioned. Very nice sites, but I didn't see anything close to the B-T. The current owner knows everything about every instrument he owns, except the Ampeg. It must be rare. Which means that it must be COLLECTIBLE! I'll try to get a pic in the near future.

9. Yes, Please be Careful on the outdoor Gigs!My Teacher used to have that amp and His Band was doing a Concert in the Park series,And a few drops of water happend to blow in off the trees, and BLAM! Tube fragments everywhere!! Up till then, it was a fantastic amp, though.

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The original Ampeg B-15N is, at best, 35 watts on a good day. It will do great in small venues or miked. I have an original '65 B-15N and I paid $800 for it a year and a half ago. That is the going price for these wonderful amps. I had searched for quite awhile to get one with the original speaker. This is really the only valuable model as it was what was used in the old Stax recordings by James Jamerson and Donald "Duck" Dunn.

I will check my Ampeg book to see what it says about the a 2-15" model. All of the older Ampeg amps have solid value.