1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

60's and 70's Fender Bass Pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Am I the only one who thinks that some of the prices being asked by board members are COMPLETELY unrealistic?
    Especialy when you consider the economy.

Custom color strats and teles are very desireable and rare. Any dead mint instrument is worth bucks.
    The run of the mill sunburst Fender P Bass will never be as valuable as the same year strat / tele IMO.

Just don't see a well used mid to late 60's bass going for $5k to $10K unless it's mint or a custom color. When they have non-original parts, the equation becomes even more absurd.

Am I out to lunch on this one?

Would be interested in hearing from either vintage dealers or those who have bought / sold an instrument lately.

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    that's the free market for you... I'll happily accept old instruments going for silly money if it means not being a communist

personally if I had the spare money for a 60's Jazz bass (which I don't), I'd buy a 2009 Jazz, which would probably sound and play just as nice... and i'd spend the money I saved on something else... no-one NEEDS a vintage bass, and if people weren't prepared to pay that money, they wouldn't cost so much

3. They are worth what people are paying for them. My buddy has a run of the mill 61 P in about 85% condition, ashtrays and OHSC and he was offered 15 for it. It was worth even more than that to him apparently, he kept it. I'd pay 5 figures for a pre cbs with original stuff, and I'd pay over 5k for nicer cbs examples if I had it. In a nutshell though, the board member's prices aren't crazy if they are making sales.

4. you can ask whatever you want, doesnt mean its going to sell for that;)

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Many sellers on TB, IMO, over price themselves -- that's why stuff sits for so long. On the other hand, I see more appropriately priced 60s and 70s Fenders than otherwise.

6. I can tell you this ... I wish I still had my '63 Precision! Who would have thought that an instrument purchased as a teen for a few hundred dollars would be worth many thousands in just a twenty year span?

Though, when I traded it for a Veillette-Citron 8-String even-steven back in '86 ... why, I thought I made out like a BANDIT at the time!

When I look back now ... :bawl:

7. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    So true, but just a small return compared to say a 1958 Les Paul or customer color Strat.

While I relaize that you can ask any price you choose, my real question is how realistic are these prices compared to what is actualy being bought and sold.

Clearly the true value is what someone will pay (not offer) at a given point in time.

8. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    IMO, it is difficult to know right now. When the economy was better, run of the mill 70s Fenders were climbing in value. Now everything seems stagnate. When the economy returns, 70s Fenders will begin to climb again. Right now, sellers don't want to sell too cheaply, and if they are willing to hold out, they will eventually sell for what most are asking. Sure custom color pre CBS Strats are worth more than sunburst 70s Precisions, but I don't see anyone on TB really asking pre CBS custom color Strat prices for 70s sunburst Precisions.

9. im trying to sell a 1966 jazz that was bought new in 66 played a few times and put back in the case for 43 years its in brand new condition
    i thought it would sell in a minute but no, many nibbles but no bites
    nobody has any money!!

10. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't think that's exactly right. Plenty of people still have money, and most people are still servicing their mortgages. People are not, however, converting much coveted cash into hard assets like collectibles. Also, people are not as willing use credit to purchase these assets.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Seems to me that "nobody has any money" was a perfectly reasonable way of casually saying "people are not... converting much coveted cash into hard assets like collectibles. Also, people are not as willing use credit to purchase these assets."

12. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Well, since I don't think it's the same, we might agree it's open to interpretation. But your "correction" is noted.

13. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Well, perhaps a bit of a hijack, but what I find perplexing is when a person posts an ad stating that the only reason he is selling an item is because of some grave need for immediate money -- illness or taxes for example -- and then states he will consider equal value trades.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I sold most of my vintage stuff a year ago.
    I lucked out.
    I got what I considered a good price.
    Ex. 1972 CAR P-bass. Ex, condition $3000. ( I payed $500 in 1979)
    I had about 8 other basses.(Fender, Gibson, Ric,)
    It's not what a magazine says price is.
    It's what someone is willing to pay now.
    I't a buyers market now.
    I will change again, it always does.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've been thinking a lot lately ... if I had only kept all that money I flushed in my 401k the past few years, and spent it on vintage basses instead, I would be in a lot better financial position today! And have a room full of cool axes besides.

16. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Interesting to note that with 245 views, no one has actualy bought or sold a 60 or 70's Fender lately

401K vs buying basses from a year ago - ouch, that hurt
    (who knew)

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love looking at the ads on Ebay & elsewhere for vintage gear. I enjoy checkin' it out in stores. Some instruments of that era are very fine, some are decent.

I still can't shake the habit of wanting a new instrument that's all my own. I don't want someone else's 'mods' or changed out pickups. I want it factory fresh, without dings, or dents. I want it made with the color & hardware I want. I don't want to wonder about what plauges some of the 'vintage' market; questionable pedigree.

Plus new instruments, regardless of your maker's preference, are a phenomenal value compared with some of the stuff they were building just 20 years ago.

There's too many good choices for a fraction of the cost.

However, I'll admit, if money wasn't a consideration, I would probably splurge on a vintage instrument too.

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yes and no. I would argue that right now, especially with the price increases by many manufacturers this year, used basses (not necessarily vintage) are a phenomenal value relative to buying new. I expect used prices will start ratcheting up here in the next few months, but right now anyway if you can buy a quality bass used from a reputable source you can't go far wrong. For example, a StingRay that lists for new for $1,700 (or more) new can be had used for $900 (sometimes less) if you're not too picky.

19. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Regardless of economic conditions, or anyone's personal analysis of the statement "noboby has any money", this sums it all up nicely!