1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

60s Avalon AV-1B body for sale on CL

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Low8, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
  2. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Kinda project @JIO would love, but probably not at that price. I could see making a body based on that picture though :smug:

3. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Dig it but good luck at that price. If it were $67 I'd buy it and build something out of it leaving it as-is.

4. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah that's what I thought. That pic did go into my ideas folder though :smug:

5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    It's too bad the seller imagines it's worth that much because it is cool. I paid a bit more than that for my '66 vintage J body (stripped). What was he smoking that made him think anyone would pay that for something marginal that they probably bought for $12.50 at a yard sale. Trust me - it will be sitting on eBay forever at that price.

6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    So this is why someone would expect someone to pay that... this became known as the "Shaggs" bass. There is one currently for sale on eBay for a bit over a grand. It is in VGC and quirky-cool, but if not for the "fame" given it by The Shaggs, the body would go for $67 and the whole bass would go for $500. At least the seller is honest in stating how it sounds. (in bold print) :)

If you are unaware of The Shaggs - the seller provided their 'history'; OCTOBER 1, 2005 BY MICHAEL WRIGHT

The Shaggs. Now there was a band that was baad! No, I’m not talking street slang where you’re supposed to flip over the meaning. They were bad. There may never have been a recorded rock band that was worse. Couldn’t sing, couldn’t play, the songs were awful, and they were terribly produced. There’s a CD of their two albums. Check them out for yourself. BAD! In fact, the only GOOD thing that came out of the Shaggs was a legendary guitar and bass, the Avalon “Shaggs” models!

The Shaggs was a family band, basically the idea of Austin Wiggin, Jr., a poor mill hand whose mother once read his palm and told him he’d have daughters some day and they would be part of a band. The Shaggs were the fulfillment of that prediction, sort of American primitive. Hailing from the small town of Fremont, New Hampshire, the Shaggs was made up of Wiggin’s daughters, Betty (16) on bass, Dorothy (Dot, 19) on guitar, respectively, and Helen (20) on drums. Young sister Rachel sometimes also performed. Dot wrote the lyrics and developed the melodies, while Betty pitched in on working out chords and rhythms. Their primary musical influences were Herman’s Hermits, Ricky Nelson, and Dino, Desi and Billy. Austin was manager and named the band. He got the matching instruments from somewhere and the band took lessons until they recorded their first album in 1969. The guitar and bass were Avalons.

Now, these are known as Shaggs models because they’re what the Shaggs played, not because of some big corporate endorsement deal! Japanese guitarmakers were competing with the Europeans early on in the 1960s and some of the earliest ‘copying’ was of European models. By the mid-’60s the EKO Violin guitar and bass, itself a copy of the Hofner made famous by Paul McCartney, was one of the most popular guitars to be honored with imitation. Another model that got imitated early on was the Burns Bison, with its long, pointy, inturned cutaway horns. The Avalon Shaggs were in the Bison mode.

What can you say about the Avalon Shaggs that one look doesn’t explain. A cool shape, with maybe one of the greatest headstock designs ever, uh, conceived. We like to call the shape Goofy. Flamed maple top and back veneers (over plywood), done up in to-die-for black-to-yellow sunburst! Lots of chrome metal trim. I once claimed that the pickups on my Kent were the worst ever made. I lied. These little ceramic units are just as bad, if not worse! Making the fact that the Shaggs were even able to record with them at all is a miracle!

The Shaggs recorded a follow-up album in 1980, but that was the band’s last gasp. We don’t know what kind of guitars they used. Except for a (demented) cult following, these rare Avalons are all that’s left of their legacy. And they’re so bad, they’re positively baad. Know what I’m sayin’?

E86EB213-BCDB-43D8-9CEC-EEF461865A4A.jpeg

DAEB9183-1210-4376-832E-4DB77180B5D4.jpeg

DDB0B96B-246A-408A-8493-1804184C8A7E.jpeg

Beej likes this.
  7. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    No Shaggs post is complete without this (can't find a larger photo):

shaggs.jpg

Find the video(s) on YouTube... you won't be able to unsee or unhear them, so be warned.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021